Author Topic: measuring bore in impound  (Read 11552 times)

Offline fastman614

Re: measuring bore in impound
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 01:47:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply Fastman. I only run at BUB now, and I don't think the techs have the burette equipment. But I will do ANYTHING rather than take the heads off my bikes. That would virtually be a whole days work, then the bike would not be able to run again for the rest of the meet. Way too complex to put back together on the salt.

Don

Don.....Your comment reminded me of our travails in 1972 with our Honda 750..... In order to pull the cam, we had to remove the engine from the frame....We could NOT leave the cam in with it deactivated as we would bend valves.... IT was a whole day deal the first time but we had them seal the engine and inspection was a breeze the next two times....And I DO know about NOT wanting to unduly "disturb" the head seal on a good running engine!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: measuring bore in impound
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »
    In '71 I watched Earl use the oil method at least 2 or3 times, maybe more, on an entry following record runs.  Kept coming up just a couple or so cc over so he suggested they pull the head for measurement which they did, mic'd out the same couple or so cc over.  Earl was as disappointed to have to disallow the record because of being so close on the wrong side as they were to have missed the mark.

Granted there is no replacement for displacement but I think just as much, if not more, additional power from a .010 over bore comes from making the hole round again after an engine has been heat cycled a few times as from the displacement increase.  If possible I'd stay away from the absolute upper class displacement limits just to make life easier all around.  Just my 2 cent opinion.

Ed