Author Topic: Advice for supporting frameless side windows ?  (Read 5161 times)

Offline SteveM

Advice for supporting frameless side windows ?
« on: April 23, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
One of the necessary tasks I'm facing is the need to install polycarbonate side windows in my '84 Rampage.  These are frameless windows.

I've been daydreaming some ideas for constructing a tube or rod frame that will support the lexan, but would appreciate any practical advice from people who have done this before.

There is a channel which is attached to the upper part of the door opening (on the cab of the truck), which holds a rubber seal.  I plan to keep this channel in place, as well as the OEM rubber seal for the window seal.  I still have the OEM side glass, which I plan to use as a template for cutting the Polycarbonate.

I was originally thinking of using 1/2" square tubing to construct a frame for window support, and either bolting or welding the 1/2" tubing to the door.  The more I thought about it, the square tubing might be a problem, as it will have some compound curves, which will not work well for square cross sections.

My thinking now is to use some 3/8" solid rod to form the support structure, and use some small weld tabs which will weld to the round tubing, and then rivet the Polycarbonate to those weld tabs all around the fabricated frame.

Again - please provide any and all advice with respect to fitting polycarbonate side windows to a vehicle with frameless windows. 

The Rampage door glass is somewhat similar to a Camaro.  I know there are plenty of Camaros on the salt, please share your recommendations.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Leadfoot

Re: Advice for supporting frameless side windows ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
Check out Jerry Bickel race cars on line they have a kit for the windows.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:18:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip on Jerry Bickel.  I just got off the phone with them, and they are going to custom build a window frame kit for the Rampage.   They do not have a template for a Charger/Rampage/Turismo/Scamp, etc, but said that they can make one from one of my OEM windows!

The good news is that they are located about an hour from me, so I can drop off my window, and they will have the frame done in 2 days.

Steve.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
I suggested an idea last year then saw it in action at SW & it worked slick.
Mount 1/16" cables to the top of the window with eyelets & mount the bottoms to the inside of the door. You can still roll the window up & down if you want to & it holds it tight against the body when it's closed.
All that 1/16" cable stuff is cheap & if you want some adjustability, get some aircraft turnbuckles.
  Sid.

gkabbt

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
Thanks for the tip on Jerry Bickel.  I just got off the phone with them, and they are going to custom build a window frame kit for the Rampage.   They do not have a template for a Charger/Rampage/Turismo/Scamp, etc, but said that they can make one from one of my OEM windows!

The good news is that they are located about an hour from me, so I can drop off my window, and they will have the frame done in 2 days.

Steve.

Steve,

As you know, I need the same frames & windows. Would you please have them make a set for me as well? I can call them to pay and have them shipped to me. Let me know.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
Gregg:
   I just sent you a PM.

gkabbt

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
Gregg:
   I just sent you a PM.

Replied to.

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:20:35 AM »
Mount 1/16" cables to the top of the window with eyelets & mount the bottoms to the inside of the door. You can still roll the window up & down if you want to & it holds it tight against the body when it's closed.
All that 1/16" cable stuff is cheap & if you want some adjustability, get some aircraft turnbuckles.
  Sid.

I'm having trouble visualizing this.  Any pics or further explanation?
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »
  Sid.

A simple tether, genious.  :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »
  Sid.

A simple tether, genious.  :cheers:
Nah, just a Kiwi hillbilly without gobbs of money! :-P
  Sid.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
Yeah......What Sid said..... :-D

Offline SteveM

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:10 AM »
I like the tether idea, but have already committed to the Jerry Bickel frame.  The framework that Gkabbt posted in his Rampage build looks good too.  Just goes to show - there are plenty of ways to skin a cat (or install Polycarbonate window supports on a frameless window).

Steve