Author Topic: Brake system suggestions - help appreciated.  (Read 5372 times)

Offline SteveM

Brake system suggestions - help appreciated.
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »
OK - I am building an '84 Rampage for the H/DT class. The speeds will not exceed 120 mph.   It is a disk/drum setup, utilizing a combination of parts from various MOPAR donors. 

The trucklet was originally equipped with power brakes.  I would like to switch to a manual disk/drum master cylinder to save room underhood and keep things very simple (there will be no vacuum source, either).

Anyone have recommendaitons for a small-ish, "universal" disk/drum manual master cylinder?

And what about brake lines?  Are others cutting and double-flaring their own lines, using "parts store" sections of straight hard line and factory rubber lines, or going with A/N type flare fittings and associated fittings?

Any advice for the effective and simple methods and materials are appreciated.\

Thanks,

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline DallasV

Re: Brake system suggestions - help appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »
What venue?
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »
like Dallas said. At Bonneville, brakes are to keep it from rolling off the trailer. Disconnect the vacuum line and use what you have.  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:41:21 PM »
Bonneville.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »
I want to re-purpose the space taken up by the brake booster.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »
Brakes should be adequate to safely load and unload the race vehicle from the trailer. Stopping is done by parachutes. :evil:

Honestly I've never had a race car with front brakes and have never had a problem. so what you have would be mor than enough IMO.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:12:36 PM »
I want to re-purpose the space taken up by the brake booster.
IIRC with my firebird, i took the brake booster off, mounted the mastercylinder to the firewall more or less same bolts etc and made a pushrod proper length. Bit of engineering you might be able to do the same. Lacking that, should be able to find some non boosted mastercylinder to mount there. Don't worry about it too much. Plenty of space to stop in. Certainly don't need to go to the trouble and expense of AN lines.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline JimL

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
If you are keeping the discs, check the junkyards for pedals that have a leverage mechanism.  I know Camry had them as early as late 90s-early 00s on the fourcylinder. Probably many others, it was part of a FMVSS for stopping distance in event of loss of power assist.  The pedal assembly will let you apply the discs without crazy high effort.

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »
I with the gang here on take the booster out and make a pushrod to suit. But some power brake systems have a 4:1 ish pedal ratio. If you think the pedal effort is too high, rearrange the pedal ratio to the standard manual 6:1. Sometimes just a new hole for the push rod on the brake pedal lever arm is all you need to do as long as the push rod angle dosen't make it bind.
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 09:03:59 PM »
Another tip-- use high friction coefficient pads. I recommend CarbonMetallic pads from Performance Friction. AutoZone carries them in quite a few sizes.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:28:28 PM »
If you are running disc brakes, bend up  some spring wire to push the pads back after you use the brakes.  I have seen some guys use screw drivers to push them back after they get the car to front of the line on the salt. To me it just seems like a pain in the a** to do it that way.  I used spring wire to make mine.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Tman

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:03:02 AM »
Steve, give me a call. I have the Wagner bible and we can get a good MC for you. And listen to Tony about springs! Brakes are a pet peve of mine, hate to see folks get it wrong.

Offline Gman

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 01:59:38 AM »
If you are running disc brakes, bend up  some spring wire to push the pads back after you use the brakes.  I have seen some guys use screw drivers to push them back after they get the car to front of the line on the salt. To me it just seems like a pain in the a** to do it that way.  I used spring wire to make mine.  Tony

Could you post some pictures for us please?
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Offline JimL

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 02:55:33 AM »
Model airplane landing gear wire comes in a few sizes, and is available stainless.  You can drill the edge of the pad backing for the ends to stick into.  Bend a V with right angle ends to stick into the holes.  Size of the V determines pad push back.  Two Vs per pad set, springs are under the caliper on the outer edges of the pads.

You can size the clearance by stacking back shims so that your new pads wont retract farther than your hydraulics can take up.  If you run rear brakes only (we used a hand lever because pedal space gets small quickly), you can connect both portions of a dual master cylinder to feed a single line.  It moves enough fluid to handle drums or disc in the back.  If you can size the clearance correctly, at retraction, you can run the springs stiffer.

Food for thought...a well planned handbrake is really useful when hand moving (or winch loading) a car.  If it can be reached from outside the car, all the better.  Also makes one less pedal in the footwell when cleaning out the salt between runs, and less leg movement needed for leg restraint control planning.  Remember...your right foot is hooked in a toe return on the throttle pedal.  I'm not a big fan of footbrake on the salt, as you can tell.  Even my next bike project will be handbrake and hand upshift on the handlebars.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:09:42 AM by JimL »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
  I use two of these per caliper and are attached the same way Jim described.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”