Author Topic: Wheels.  (Read 2436 times)

Offline tauruck

Wheels.
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »
I've got a set of Aero Sprint cup wheels which are 15 x 10 but I can't use them for the front so in reality I have four rear wheels. I've tried contacting Aero to ask about 15 x 5 but never get a response. What can you guys suggest I use?. Steel preferably. 2200lb car hoping for between 230-250mph.

Offline Heliophile

• Design and construction of an LSR MC Streamliner
Re: Wheels.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
Tauruck, I am also interested in information on this question.  I am building a 2-wheel streamliner for a similar speed range.  I purchased Centerline wheels, aluminum, roll forged, 2-piece riveted together, claimed to be racing wheels.  I chose these because they are avilable in old VW 5 x 205mm bolt pattern and a 6.3" center hole, which fits over the sprocket carrier on the rear and the HCS hub on the front, and they are symmetrical about the wheel center plane.  They are also availaable in more usual bolt patterns and a wide variety of rim widths, offsets, and diameters.  The wheels I received have maximum runout of about 0.020 inches (0.5 mm) both laterally and radially at the bead.  I have heard that a problem with 2-piece wheels might be that the seal between the two wheel halves can pop loose at speed.  I have not yet run these wheels.  Has anyone had experience with these wheels?  They could be what Tauruck needs -- or may not be what I need.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 02:17:08 PM »
I have a pair (actually 4 two are still on the car) of 15x5 that came off my Mustang (3500lbs car), welded centers and SCTA legal with Ford/Dodge  bolt pattern. Will trade towards some future work, though shipping to SA might be a killer.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »
Tauruck, I am also interested in information on this question.  I am building a 2-wheel streamliner for a similar speed range.  I purchased Centerline wheels, aluminum, roll forged, 2-piece riveted together, claimed to be racing wheels.  I chose these because they are avilable in old VW 5 x 205mm bolt pattern and a 6.3" center hole, which fits over the sprocket carrier on the rear and the HCS hub on the front, and they are symmetrical about the wheel center plane.  They are also availaable in more usual bolt patterns and a wide variety of rim widths, offsets, and diameters.  The wheels I received have maximum runout of about 0.020 inches (0.5 mm) both laterally and radially at the bead.  I have heard that a problem with 2-piece wheels might be that the seal between the two wheel halves can pop loose at speed.  I have not yet run these wheels.  Has anyone had experience with these wheels?  They could be what Tauruck needs -- or may not be what I need.
PM sent.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »
I have a pair (actually 4 two are still on the car) of 15x5 that came off my Mustang (3500lbs car), welded centers and SCTA legal with Ford/Dodge  bolt pattern. Will trade towards some future work, though shipping to SA might be a killer.  Tony
I'm in. Can you check what shipping would cost to Johannesburg and let me know?. I'd do a deal for sure. Anything going the other way would be way lighter I'm guessing. Tony, sea freight might be the answer and I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. Mike.