Author Topic: El Mirage Protest Upheld  (Read 27870 times)

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 12:35:02 PM »
To paraphrase...

Quote from: JohnR
What do you suggest the board should have done?

6. SCTA Rules very clearly state that once a car has left the starting line it cannot be reclassified.
7. SCTA Tech inspection is a safety tech only not a class verification.

This is where the problem in my opinion a lot of these protests could be resolved before a vehicle even turns a wheel. the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing in this case. this process currently is a series of processes which very clearly should be combined. To say tech is only for safety is incorrect. If that were the case, then there would be no variances in any of the safety procedures from nitro lakesters to barstools because the variances as we actually know them are polar opposites.

this is a very unfortunate event that certainly was not intentional by the builder (obviously) nor the tech committee.

how do you fix it now?

why not try giving the driver an incentive to return to race in a properly classed vehicle? let the SCTA pick up his entry fee for his next event based on their mistake? why not send a personal note of apology for the mistake? this club stuff has its place, but since the owner/builder is the one who took the brunt of the actual mistake, let him know how the SCTA feels?

JohnR

El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 12:37:09 PM »
Quote from: bbb
To paraphrase...

why not try giving the driver an incentive to return to race in a properly classed vehicle? let the SCTA pick up his entry fee for his next event based on their mistake? why not send a personal note of apology for the mistake? this club stuff has its place, but since the owner/builder is the one who took the brunt of the actual mistake, let him know how the SCTA feels?

I agree completely.

landracing

El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 12:42:20 PM »
BBB,

Now that is a very good plan of attack. Great resolution to a mistake that happened.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
MISTAKES HAPPEN
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 12:42:30 PM »
Mistakes are going to happen.
 The handling of the deal from the start was a mistake.
 For the purposes of defination the use of the vehicle is the determining factor.
 In the US we have the luxury of the DOT rating to help that.
 It is not true of production in other countrys.
 If the the mistake were not brought to light here, what chance did he have ?
The questions and observations here for the most are not meant to tear anything down but rather provoke thought and informed conversation that is not available any other way.
If he followed the rule as written and submitted it here for observation, do you think the same potential for the mistake would have happened ?
Not even the 3 club reps seem to have gone to bat for their member so what good is that?
Individually a lot of people are doing a good job, some better than others.
It really gets lonely when you stand alone and there is strength in numbers.
As long as it is a Club level event it should be treated that way.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

JohnR

Re: MISTAKES HAPPEN
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 12:54:21 PM »
Quote from: JackD

If the the mistake were not brought to light here, what chance did he have ?

Well, it was "brought to light" here but what exactly changed in the "chance that he had" because of it?

JohnR

Re: MISTAKES HAPPEN
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 12:59:05 PM »
Quote from: JackD

The questions and observations here for the most are not meant to tear anything down...

Ha! That's the funniest thing you have said in a long time Jack!

Hey Jack, you know it's Wednesday right? I thought you were only supposed to quarterback on Monday mornings!

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 12:59:59 PM »
BBB that really is a credible solution...

or thats my opinion for what it's worth...which ain't much... LOL

K ( it's at least worth what it cost you... )
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

dwarner

El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 01:24:54 PM »
The committee chair indicated that he would call Larry to inform him of the decision. If that has not been done yet contact the him and ask the question, don't leave it open ended on a message board.

DW

Offline Bob Drury

El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 04:12:51 PM »
Well here we go again.  I think both sides have valid concerns, and I agree with what Dan says, especially the volunteer part, but this brings us back to the same old shit, the lack of racer input into rule making decisions.  Although mistakes are and were made, I doubt that anyone had malice in their heart.  Saying that, does the SCTA need to have a rules oversight committee, or perhaps a more open communication channel between the racers and the rules committee.  I think we all understand that even the SCTA rulers have better things to do than spend every evening reviewing bitches, but it would be nice if participants questions could be answered in a timely fashion.  As far as changing or amending existing rules, it would be nice to open the lines of communication so that we all could read and comment on them before they are implemented.  Once more, I am not asking for a vote in the proceedings, just the ability to study, and possibly add input that might be usefull before the rules happen.  I don't care who the club reps are, or who might be on the rules committee, no one person, or persons,have  the knowledge or foresight to make any rule that  is all inclusive and positive without opening the communication channels to ALL who might be affected.  If this was SOP, perhaps the second guessing and bad mouthing could be held to a minimum (with exclusions for Dolan, who of course would be Grandfathered in). lol
Bob Drury

Offline bbb

• JorNic Motorsports
El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 04:53:20 PM »
If this was SOP, perhaps the second guessing and bad mouthing could be held to a minimum (with exclusions for Dolan, who of course would be Grandfathered in). lol

now thats the funniest thing I have read in quite some time... sorry Jack :D

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 06:08:09 PM »
maybe im missing something here, but what was the protest for???? he didnt set a record!!!! was the reason for the protest to keep him or his club from getting el mirage points? is he running for points championship. will he be back to race again? hell all of the other professional race organizations have protest procedures to protect competitors from unfair advantage. this guy didnt set a record so his pass offered no competitive advantage. the way i see it... there is nothing to protest!!!!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
JUST FOR THE RECORD
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 07:32:40 PM »
Having been around abit I kinda know how it works and where the heat needs to be.
The benefit from this is it is far less likely to happen to either side again if they study for the test.

What better place is there than here ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline bbb

• JorNic Motorsports
El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 08:00:45 PM »
I guarantee Kent he will have to make changes to his vehicle to make it eligible for the class it should have been built for. those initial costs, plus the costs to bring it to spec for the new or intended class.

Offline joea

El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 12:25:30 AM »
we could all talk behind closed doors.....amongst
a select few bench racing and discussing this situation............

where  would the uninformed heresay go...............????

here it allows so many more to be more advised/appraised
of scenarios/situations.......and REALITY.....................

everyone benefits...............many things that are good
are not easy..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some things should not be allowed to fester and propagate into
a cancer that spreads so far its nearly impossible to cure...........
and certainly more painful to deal with...............

thanks SCTA dudes for helping to enlighten us further............

Larry........you out there enlighten us on your end to show us
how we might try to avoid a similar scenario...............
evidentally ya didnt go about getting teched the right way.........?

Larry.......what was the process you undertook to get approval
by the car tech committee.........?

and Larry.......was it hard to distinguish what class you were running
when you were teched.........?

any help appreciated..............

Joe :)

landracing

El Mirage Protest Upheld
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 12:29:07 AM »
Man that sucks, he has to change the paint job to show the right class.

Jon