Author Topic: AK47 TLR  (Read 7333 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
AK47 TLR
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
Were at it again and much as we were going to keep it under wraps till a bit further down the build I cant contain my enthusiasm and just had to post it up.

When I got my first solo ride on a bike it was a Bultaco Sherpa and remember having such a big grin and heart pumping like a mad thing and its the same when I jump on one of these,maybe not the most powerfull bike ever made but got to rank amongst the most nutty and fun bikes the Japanese have ever produced.

So how to make a nutty bike nuttyer,its getting a turbo and a new frame,

The plan is to get the turbo and all ancilliarys fitted and working in the stock frame as far as is practically possible and then strip and rebuild a new frame that is fit for purpose with a good stretch front and rear to accomodate all the bits and pieces.
We (Dave Friend the builder of the GSX in Speed Dreams and Ralph from MK Dyno)are in no rush this time as after the last trip to the Salt which didnt go too good for myself left us pretty hammered financially so realsticaly we are aiming for 2015 maybe 2014 if we are lucky.
First Job Plenum then pipework to turbo.

Cheers Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline rgn

Re: AK47 TLR
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »
I have a soft spot for the TL's.  I'm not sure if you are aware of the big end weakness of these engines, Carrillo conrods, or SV rods go a long way to solve the problem.  TLzone forum has a lot of info.

Here's my S without the full fairing... need a new big-end... :roll:

Offline Jon

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:11:32 PM »
Good to see you back Oz, will be watching this with interest.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:50 PM »
Can't wait to see this one ... Joe

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
Sorting as much as possible on the road will be a big help.  That looks like a fun project.  Only half as many parts to buy as what you are accustomed to.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Hi RGN
as far as I know the S model did have bottom end problems but the R was a bit better,Forged pistons stronger rods etc.
I have been looking at the TL zone and alot of usefull info, I also think alot of the bottom end problems stem from long periods standing on the back wheel impressing onlookers.

We are planing to boost this engine to destruction and see what it makes H.P wise and then build the next with a safety margin,or that is the plan at the moment but that could change.

I owned a TLS for years until a careless driver decided I should learn to fly,Which I did,Landing was  the bit I didnt like!!

The Idea of keeping it in the standard frame for the time being was as it develops it may be too long for the Dyno, however there is nothing like an early morning road test is there!!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
It has turned out to be a bit more complicated than I first thought with obstructions and what not but had a buddy who span these lovelys up for me which gets me over the problem.
Before

and after

Cheers Andy top man

Oz

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
Nice work. I was just checking the butterfly bars. We used to do a mod on 48IDA Weber Carbs that showed a definite improvement on the dyno if you're looking for a little more horse.

Offline DND

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
Hi Oz

Will be following your new build, not up to speed too much on road bikes as my bike time was the 60's - 70's and 80's but still a big fan as you never loose the passion.

My hi-lite was i got to ride a dirt track XR 750 Harley once, boy what a thrill it was !!

What style is the engine a V twin ?

Don

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »
XRs have always been one of my favourites ever since i was a kid,absolutley awesome things but I have only ever seen one in the flesh.

Plenum is slow going but is heading in the right direction

the adapters are a real good fit.

base plates 3mm Ali

trimmed to size and bent ready for the Flanged lid sides and deflector etc. Sory about the pictures I aint quite got the hang of my smart/dumb phone yet!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:20:34 AM by oz »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 07:33:42 AM »
"Newcastle born & bred. . . "

Then, also a gent familiar with Newcastle Brown Ale??

I got introduced to "Nukie Brown" at the "King"s Head Pub" in Santa Monica way back in '82, when I worked for an IMSA team. . . . .

Started me down the "dark path". . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »
Ah wonderfull stuff not particularly strong but makes you do some weird things,just a nip of LSD in it I think judging by what people tell me I have done whilst under the influence. There was reputedly a special ward in Newcastle general hospital (ward 9) for fans of the Brown Dog!!

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 09:11:04 AM »
Its been a long time coming but eventually got the plenum done minus a few fittings but will make them and fit after the turbo is all fitted up

Holes for the inlets

Fitted inlets

Ralph laying down some lovely beads

Baffle plates and secondary filters/diffusers fitted

Fully welded and fitted.

I reckon it looks a little on the large side but this should help with any pulsing from the turbo/supercharger.

Cheers Oz

Offline tauruck

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
Very neat work. It looks great.