Author Topic: Dry Sump Oil tank location ?  (Read 8058 times)

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
Dry Sump Oil tank location ?
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »

Where to place 3 gal dry sump tank?

Need to  move dry sump oil tank from engine compartment. Is it okay to mount on roll cage behind passenger seat ? or mount in foot area of passenger area at door? need heat shields or should the tank be mounted in the trunk area ?

any install pictures ?

Thanks,

Jon

Offline aussievetteracer

Re: Dry Sump Oil tank location ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »
Here in Oz 2 weeks ago, at Lake Gairdner, a guy in a nascar had a big hit- when the fire crew got to him, his car was totalled- he was upside down, UNCONSCIOUS, AND THERE WAS OIL EVERYWHERE. It was very fortunate there was no source of ignition. That would answer the question for me. I also heard,(2nd hand) that the doctor who attended him, said the HANS saved his life. I believe the driver is ok, with no serious injuries
                                                                                              Best regards, Denis.
Denis

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
If oil gets loose in front of or inside the engine compartment there is serious fire potential from the headers especially fanned by passing air and hopefully no fuel leaks.

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:01:10 AM »

Going to need some room up front for all the turbo stuff and new intake system.

I talked to Kiwi Steve and I think we have it figured out.

thanks for the input.

Jon

Offline fastman614

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:45:36 AM »
Jon.... It would be nice if you show us what you come up with.... well, at least when it is of "picture quality" anyway.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »

Where to place 3 gal dry sump tank?

Need to  move dry sump oil tank from engine compartment. Is it okay to mount on roll cage behind passenger seat ? or mount in foot area of passenger area at door? need heat shields or should the tank be mounted in the trunk area ?

I think if you build it inside a firewall type compartment you will be OK, I would check the SCTA tech line or committee chair for a ruling.  I'm sure it will be treated as a flammable liquid in a drivers compartment.   
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:24 PM »
  I would guess that better than 50% of the vehicles running in Altered or Comp Coupe run a Dry Sump tank inside of the cockpit and most of those run AT LEAST A FIVE GALLON TANK MINIMUM.  The reason for that size of a tank is to compensate for oil lost in the motor, pan, hoses, filters, pump and tank during a wide open run.
  In my car I built a nine gallon tank and run six gallons of oil which allows a large area above a anti-aeration screen for the returning oil (two AN-16 lines) and I also run two vent lines to a puke tank in the trunk.
  I see no reason that a properly installed dry sump tank should need to be isolated by a firewall in a race car unless you require the same for water tanks which can explode from a head gasket failure (think steam), or pressurised intercooler boxes (think explosive power).
  Lets not open another can of worms unless research shows proof of previous injuries-not caused by improperly built or installed systems.
  By the way, I run a six stage Barnes rotor gear pump with four scavenge lines off of the pan and one from a manifold I built that lays in the lifter galley.
  I run two hot water style heater elements in the tank (which has been talked about in another thread.... maybe blanket type external heaters might be a better way to go).
  I also use Moroso inline screens on all five scavenge lines, a System one screen canister filter, and a two quart Wix Nascar screw on filter.
  I lost a intake roller lifter roller at the W.F.'s, which resulted in two broken Carrillo rods, toasted crank, damaged and possibly ruined Dart Block, but believe it or not the bearings show very little distress, the filters look good, and the only damage to the Barnes pump was scuffing of the rotors in two scavenge segments.
                                                                                                   Bob Drury
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:35:59 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »

Thanks Bob,

I've seen quite a few cars running the system that way. It seems to worry my dad a lot more than me and my brother.

We'll get it figured out.

See you guys on the salt.

Jon