Author Topic: Salt Tires ?? Airstrip Tires ECTA ?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline rack4u

• New folks
    • www.burkeavanti.com
Salt Tires ?? Airstrip Tires ECTA ?
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:09:57 AM »
Hello,

Brand New to landspeed and just wondering about tire choices for heavy "Door" cars. I have never driven on the salt or dry lake bed, so just looking for advice as we set this car up to race ECTA event and goals to make it back to the salt and El-mirage with the Avanti.

I understand about having a small contact patch and the least resistance. But what are the pros vs cons of a wider tire for traction at tracks like ECTA and then on the salt or lake bed SCTA ?
If I had back ALL the money I have spent on Cars I would spend it ALL on Cars !!   www.BurkeAvanti.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Salt Tires ?? Airstrip Tires ECTA ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »
Search the subject on here, you will see it has been discussed more than once.  Some folks like narrow on the salt, some like wide, don't ruin your Bonneville tires doing smoky burnouts.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:55:13 PM »
I really like the drag radials for the one mile events. They have proven over the years to be reliable and have great traction.
As far as the salt goes, I would need more info about what dia you need before offering much advise.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »
definitely 2 different types of tires for the 2 venues.

The Wilmington Mile, you want good concrete traction, need a hard start and a lot of acceleration. Drag radials.

Bonneville, 3 miles/7 miles of Salt, hard, but little grains on top. Wide tires with sand like salt underneath, bad for traction, that's why most like skinny tires, plenty of time to accelerate, better traction with more weight per sq inch.

expensive solution...
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:25:43 AM »
I'm a little way off buying tires but where does one find info on sizes etc?. The Goodyear site doesn't seem to have much info on rear tires or maybe I was looking in the wrong place. The surface I'll be running on is similar to El Mirage. I'm after  15 x 10" rears with a 30" OD.

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:01:59 AM »
I'm a little way off buying tires but where does one find info on sizes etc?. The Goodyear site doesn't seem to have much info on rear tires or maybe I was looking in the wrong place. The surface I'll be running on is similar to El Mirage. I'm after  15 x 10" rears with a 30" OD.

We use the 2270  28X10 on the 222 Camaro and figure 29'' for tire growth, although we found the 2222 tire to grow 11/2'' at 275 when the rpms didn"t match the exit speed. The 2270 replaced the 2222 10'' tire that we had a time of 280mph at the 21/4 and 294mph in the 1st mile with an indicated top speed of 318 when it blew just before the start of the 2nd mile. The engine, chassis dynoed at 2300 hp at 6200 rpm when the sound waves unpluged the dyno.
  Depending on hp,you might not need the wide tires unless you can't get up to speed by the 5th mile.

www.racegoodyear scroll down to Landracing tires. These 2270s were noticeably wobbly when mounted but new wheels were delivered just before Bville. New wheel out lateraly 30 thou but have not checked axel flange, so not jumping to blame tire just yet.

We have never worn out the tires [the wear holes are always there] and last year the tits were all still there after a speed of 280 mph when a rod let go. View tire in build diaries [getting ready for Bonneville] pg. 125.

JL222

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:13:01 AM by jl222 »

Offline fastman614

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:26:16 AM »
Another group of good "pavement tires" to consider is any of the Goodyear Super Stock Special oval track tires - the same ones as the NASCAR cup cars run..... I have a line on quite a few sets of good used ones that are not expensive (although shipping them to you from Canada would probably not be a good idea financially)... I use a pair of them for chassis dyno tuning the car and, in years gone by, I have run them on the racecar at over 220 mph with no trouble....

On the east cost, they ought to exist in large quantities new and used and should be relatively inexpensive
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
Thanks for the good advice guys. This is a staunch forum. No question goes unanswered and no problem unsolved. I had a promise from the tire supplier here that he'd help when the time came. Admittedly it was a while back. I called today only to be told that the company is no longer involved in motorsports and reverted me to the HQ in Akron. Rack4U, I hope I never jacked your thread. It wasn't my intention.

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »
I'm a little way off buying tires but where does one find info on sizes etc?. The Goodyear site doesn't seem to have much info on rear tires or maybe I was looking in the wrong place. The surface I'll be running on is similar to El Mirage. I'm after  15 x 10" rears with a 30" OD.

We use the 2270  28X10 on the 222 Camaro and figure 29'' for tire growth, although we found the 2222 tire to grow 11/2'' at 275 when the rpms didn"t match the exit speed. The 2270 replaced the 2222 10'' tire that we had a time of 280mph at the 21/4 and 294mph in the 1st mile with an indicated top speed of 318 when it blew just before the start of the 2nd mile. The engine, chassis dynoed at 2300 hp at 6200 rpm when the sound waves unpluged the dyno.
  Depending on hp,you might not need the wide tires unless you can't get up to speed by the 5th mile.

www.racegoodyear scroll down to Landracing tires. These 2270s were noticeably wobbly when mounted but new wheels were delivered just before Bville. New wheel out lateraly 30 thou but have not checked axel flange, so not jumping to blame tire just yet.

We have never worn out the tires [the wear holes are always there] and last year the tits were all still there after a speed of 280 mph when a rod let go. View tire in build diaries [getting ready for Bonneville] pg. 125.

JL222

'' when it blew'' in the above is the engine not the tire :roll: