Author Topic: Dry sump reservoir location.  (Read 4503 times)

Offline gray63

Dry sump reservoir location.
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
I am in the process of installing a dry sump system on my modified sports Corvette.
Is there any reason that the reservoir can not be mounted in the passengers area of
the car? I may have overlooked any restrictions in the rules, but this looks like the
only area that I will have sufficient room to locate this. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave
# 3611
56 Corvette
BGMS

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Dry sump reservoir location.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »
Dave, That is where ours is located. You may want to think about some shielding, in case a line blows.

Hot oil on a driver wouldn't be good at over 200 MPH!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline gray63

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
Thanks for the response.  A shield will be on the TOP of my list if the reservoir
goes next to my shoulder.

Dave

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »
Steve

Here is one concept for installing an oil tank.  The oil tank is a technical issue no matter where it goes; behind the seat has the benefit of being inside the roll cage system.

John.

Offline gray63

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
John,
My space is much more confined with no back seat area, but it will be well protected
by the cage.

Dave

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 05:19:30 PM »
Hi Dave- have a look at my reply to Hot Rod Lincon, in "Tech" 
                                                                                   Best regards, Denis
Denis

Offline gray63

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
I have been following the other thread in "Tech" and was surprised by Bobs post stating that
he runs a 9 gal tank with 6 gallon of oil in it.
I had planned on running only a 3 gallon tank.
I am running a small block chevy.
Is that enough oil capacity?
Dave
# 3611
56 Corvette

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:25:28 PM »
We run a 3-gallon tank with a SBC.

Bob likes to leave a trail so the push car can find him, unless he's chasing it.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline gray63

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
Thanks Stan.
I am really cramped for space, so I hoped that 3 gal
would suffice.
By the way your response made me laugh out loud.

Dave # 3611
56 Corvette

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:53:42 AM »
  Keep in mind that Stan is a crusty old turd who still wears his 1965 "lucky" underwear, which rumor has it, has never been washed. 
  As far as capacity of a dry sump oil tank, I stick by my beliefs.............. better to have too much than not quite enough, and the larger, the less aireation of the resevoir which ultimatly feeds the motor, hence bearings.
  One of my personal Hero's, Marlo Treit, ran a 5 gallon tank in his Blown Hemi Lakester many years ago.  After one particular run the bearings showed signs of oil starvation yet the tank was full.
  He told me that when he talked to the late Keith Black that Keith told him that at sustained high speed, the pistons worked like a old hand powered water pump and actually sucked oil up (beneath the pistons) and could result in a severe oil loss (not including lifter galley oil loss).  Keeping in mind that this was twenty or so years ago and that dry sump pumps were not commonly used on after market Hemi motors, and that most used a KB external pump. Marlo told me that He upgraded his oil tank from a five gallon tank to a eight gallon tank and the problem was solved.
  I shoud add also, that  because of how those motors oiled, that everything I have just said doesn't mean didely squat as far as most current high reving motors go.
  I still, however, admire Stan, although I maintain that he looks more like a Butterfly netter than the True Legand that he is............................  Bob
Bob Drury