Author Topic: Pre-event SpeedWeek 2013  (Read 164479 times)

Offline Frankie7799

Re: SpeedWeek 2013
« Reply #330 on: August 02, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »
Dumb question of the day, do they accept plastic out on the salt say at the souveneir stands, or to buy a bni membership etc?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #331 on: August 02, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »
YES
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #332 on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:40 PM »
Thanks Glen for helping the newbie out  :-)

Offline Texican

« Reply #333 on: August 02, 2013, 11:14:23 PM »
First year I went to the Bonneville, I was driving just past the bend heading to the Lake and I remembered Lynda's and Slim's words
"don't speed on the road in"
So I was cruising along at 45 in the rental car, and a giant pickup came past me at about 75
the next thing to go past was the police. that was on the Thursday
Yep, they made some revenue that week
G

It's quite possible to have a "spotter" up on the hill with powerful binoculars, and a "Chaser" hiding around the corner on the road that runs up to the dump.

On a trip returning Eastbound, I saw something up on the top of the mountain by the Dugway exit and wondered, "is this a speed trap?"
Keep thinking like a cop, always!
Jim

Offline Texican

« Reply #334 on: August 02, 2013, 11:50:27 PM »
[
So far, looks GOOD!
At our USFRA meeting Wed. nite, one of the members had been to land's end that morning, and said "there was only a small puddle to deal with".
Jim
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:84083.1.99999
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:53:08 PM by Texican »

Offline mrdodge

« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2013, 11:55:05 PM »
Dumb question of the day, do they accept plastic out on the salt say at the souveneir stands, or to buy a bni membership etc?

No such thing as a dumb question. Only dumb thing is not asking !!
If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs....it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2013, 03:05:23 AM »
First year I went to the Bonneville, I was driving just past the bend heading to the Lake and I remembered Lynda's and Slim's words
"don't speed on the road in"
So I was cruising along at 45 in the rental car, and a giant pickup came past me at about 75
the next thing to go past was the police.

Yep they get busy out there especially the first 4 days or so.

For those who are not sure what you are looking out for.

Offline Texican

« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
[
So far, looks GOOD!
At our USFRA meeting Wed. nite, one of the members had been to land's end that morning, and said "there was only a small puddle to deal with".
Jim
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:84083.1.99999

Latest  as of 21:34 MDST, the next ten days are simply SPECTACULAR!
The folks from East of Denver will simply learn to  deal with single digit humidity.
Scroll down past the finger thingy, and punch the little blue arrow for next 5 days thru Mon, 08/12.   
nice!

Jim

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #338 on: August 06, 2013, 01:13:59 AM »
The car is tagged and bagged for the trip to the white! Make sure you stop by my pits and say hello (or on the line). We typically have an assortment of cured meats and other various meat related sundries at our pits along with various beverages. We also do not discriminate for age, religion, race or other but be warned, we support and practice a 'clothing optional' pit. We do not however tolerate: scallywags, miscreants, heathens, hoodlums, scoundrels, vagabonds, carpet baggers, dentist or other criminal types....and more so people that dont have a sense of humor. If you need to borrow a tool and we are not at our pit you are welcome to take it. Just leave a note with your name and dont make me come asking for it.....after you are done with it return it. If I borrow a tool it always comes back nicer than it was when we got it.

Hope to see you all soon,

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline rlague

« Reply #339 on: August 06, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
OK there should be SCTA streaming.  Does anyone know if there will be CB or FM broadcast as well?  Will they feed that same thing over these media?  Just curious.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #340 on: August 06, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
Should be FM. By the way, my Tank is in the trailer and I'm packing around it.  :-D I'll leave Thursday morning after breakfast. Maybe have lunch at Marcello's.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #341 on: August 06, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
Safe travels Wayno, see you up there

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #342 on: August 06, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
Darn Johnny, I was hoping to stop by, but have been told by a few people that I may either be a miscreant and/or a scallywag. Definitely not a hoodlum though! Hopefully I can still sneek in.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #343 on: August 06, 2013, 05:02:48 PM »
Howdy from Wendover and the Quality Inn.  We made it!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Okay, now that that's over with, here are a few first impressions for the trip.  I'll post my usual photo of salt conditions but will tell you that for right now it's kinda sticky/damp in the pits and on the entry road, but not bad.  And with the 90F temps this afternoon -- the chances seem pretty good that it'll dry up well.  

The guys (Jim Jensen and Fast Fred Dannenfelzer) are out dragging, as usual.  I'll put a photo from Land's End on here so you know what to expect there - but again, it's not perfect but pretty good and will get better - if bumpier from traffic .

Guess who?  Hint:  She admits to welcoming donuts and hugs.  Lynda, that is.  Nancy will turn down the donuts.

I'm going to lock out this thread (for new posts) tonight or tomorrow and start one for the event itself (vs. the run-up to it).  You'll still be able to read and refer to it - but for those folks wanting current information - a current thread should oughta be easier to navigate than this one that's been going on for weeks.

Okay - we're going shopping at Smith's now, for food for Salt talks (no, we don't buy the meat quite this early - just reserve it to make sure they've got it for us Sunday morning), and as well as food -- we're going shopping for (HERE'S AN IMPORTANT WARNING TO YOU ALL!!) we're shopping for a flyswatter or two.  They're already being pesty.  Be forewarned and bring fly strips if your pit and your personal fragrance is anything like ours.

Finally - the courtesy shot I always post.  Two of 'em, in fact:

That's it.  WE MADE IT!  1,885 miles, 16.0 mpg, three and a quarter days, 38 3/4 hours in the truck.  No tire issues whatever, no interviews with the police.  Not bad, hey?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:36:09 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sabat

« Reply #344 on: August 06, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
Glad you made it safe Jon, good luck.

Wow, looks sticky!!!