Author Topic: M'cycle, Air Ram question ??  (Read 2590 times)

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
M'cycle, Air Ram question ??
« on: March 02, 2013, 06:43:24 AM »
In the motorcycle section (SCTA) 7F Modified Production,, clause 7.F.11-3, Open Class, in regards to "Ram Air" systems, am i reading this rule correctly, in that you "must" run the OEM ram air ducting with no modifications, :? ,
 reason i ask is that the Kawasaki ZX12 Ram Air is an integeral part of the bodywork (fairings),  thus excluding  Ram Air in open class on the 12, :|,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: M'cycle, Air Ram question ??
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »
Keep reading.... they give you a window for the locations of non-OEM.

There have been issues in the past with some inspectors judging what is streamlining regarding gauges and air tubes
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:10:56 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »
Indeed, Once upon a time I was asked/told to remove the air duct that led from the nose of the bike to the (factory) air inlets on the frame - because said ducts constituted streamlining (or at least were guilty of deflecting the air from its "normal" path).  I understood the point and complied (of course) - but still, I thought it was a valid defense of having the duct in place.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »
the way i read it, "Un-modified OEM air inlet scoops", "Un-modified OEM mounts", "OEM location", by the very mention of air inlet it is saying that you can use it, (or parts thereof),,
the Hayabusas have a continus duct from the air box to the bodwork, remove the fairings and you can still use this ducting, however with the ZX12's its not possible as the ducting comprises a number of pieces which in turn attach to the bodywork, remove the fairings and there is no way of attaching it, (re- Un-modified "OEM mounts"),,
Stainless, the out refers to instruments only, and thay must be mounted within specified parameters,,
I am bringing the bike to Bonneville this year to run at WOS. At present it has aftermarket (Airtech) ram air ducting installed with custom made mounts, it is all very close to oem dimensions,, would like to get a definate direction on the rule,, at present it favours certin motorcycles,, ram air definatly features in performance at high speed,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
Yep, you are right, just reread it. 
Busa and GSXR ducts are separate, but need something to support the front ends to be used without the fairing. 
Send an inquiry to the SCTA tech line.
You might reread 7.f.11.3, it says oem stuff meets the non streamlining requirement, it does not say other stuff does not.  Take pictures of what you are using, send to tech and see if it meets the requirement.  Ask for a description of what will meet the requirement if yours does not.
Good luck with the project.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O