Author Topic: Aerodynamic battery cut off activation.  (Read 22280 times)

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
Re: Aerodynamic battery cut off activation.
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2013, 11:05:32 PM »
I had our battery cut off on the fairing all most to the rear of the car (roadster) they asked me to move it to the rear of the car for the next meet. They also did not like the push rod I had connected to the switch, the rod was 3" long. It was no big deal I moved it put a big sign on it and they still hand me a round sticker to put on top of the car by the driver with an arrow to the rear.
Richard
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:08:55 PM by Richard 2 »
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2013, 12:03:22 AM »
The one small problem is that I have no flat panel at the rear of our car. Everything comes to a point. I don't want to stick some knob out the back if my car when we have taken the pain that  we have to minimize separation drag. And yes, it matters! Alright, enough on this subject until a SCTA official chimes in.
According to 36.3k we are compliant.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2013, 03:03:50 AM »
Rob I'm not an SCTA official but I know that in a wreck or fire the rescue guys will first go to the extreme ends of the vehicle looking for the power switch. The longer it takes them to find it the longer your sitting in your car waiting for someone to help you.
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Aerodynamic battery cut off activation.
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2013, 08:24:53 AM »
Well I guess we are completely screwed because there no way this can happen. I wish they would have been more specific in the rule book. Oh well.,
Sort of ironic as you influenced the location of the switch. You described most Streamliner accidents to me years ago as accidents start out as a pencil roll then finish with pogo sticking . We if this true, there will seldom be a switch to shut off when they get to the wreck site.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
TRUE
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline jdincau

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
Here is the battery shut off on my brothers streamliner, it is the ring just visible at the lower corner of the fin. Passed 2013 tech
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
Here is the battery shut off on my brothers streamliner, it is the ring just visible at the lower corner of the fin. Passed 2013 tech

Nice!
Let's see some more if that car!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »

I like the color :-D
Can not imagine that the tail, alone the pull ring would be there after a crash or on any car for that matter.   
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2013, 11:01:21 AM »
Well I guess we are completely screwed because there no way this can happen. I wish they would have been more specific in the rule book. Oh well.,
Sort of ironic as you influenced the location of the switch. You described most Streamliner accidents to me years ago as accidents start out as a pencil roll then finish with pogo sticking . We if this true, there will seldom be a switch to shut off when they get to the wreck site.

Rob I agree but I'm just telling you what I see
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »
..Well I guess we are completely screwed because there no way this can happen. .....

I realize that you must be down about this, but there probably hasn't been one of us that hasn't had to change something on the car that maybe we felt was ok.  We all give up something aero wise because of a rule.

How about a rod with a ring on the end of it near where the arrow is above.  That area right behind your flap would probably not be effected much by something like that aero wise.  Run it by them if you think it would work.  No it isn't at the 'extreme' end of the car but at least behind the wing/axle configuration and awful close to the very back.

A fuse at the battery and the cable to the switch or run the rod forward under the skin to where the present switch is or rod to morse cable to do the same?

You have a ton of great engineering and construction in the car, I'll bet you will soon have a handle on this,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »
The switch on the liner survived my incident... it was mounted in the structure.. the body with the location information didn't.  But it didn't need to, the switch turned itself to off during one of the many smacks the tail took before that part of the structure broke off.  Most of the power cables ripped off as well.  

The Lakester has the power switch integrated in the push bar, slides to the rear, takes a good jerk on the handle to pull it off.  Labeled on the body and the handle... will the body be there... my experience tells me probably not... will the structure it is mounted to be there...  I hope we never have to know
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »
How about if we make the pushbar double as the shut off? We can make a 1" dia bar that slides in a 1.50 od x 1.000 id receiver with stop machined inside to keep it from pushing too deep. The 1" diameter stinger will be tapped 10-32 to accept the cable end. Basically you can grab the stinger and pull the switch off.
I don't think it is as safe as what we have but if it makes the correct people happy, we can do it.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Nice!

Here ya go!
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »
Nice!

Here ya go!

I split this post off so that we don't get too far off topic.  It is such a great car I think it deserves it.  The new post is here.....

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,13398.0.html

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »
Rob, saw the back of the car in another thread without the body, looks like there is structure in the stinger that could be used to relocate your switch if required.  I agree with Sum, if it has to move to the back, I would see if they will allow it not all the way to the back. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O