Author Topic: Lakester  (Read 8729 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Lakester
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
Several different people would have several different ways to build a lakester. You could run just second and high, which makes the shifter easy. Or use an automatic for the mile. Spring for a Lenco. It's not a "spec" class. Your ingenuity is very important to how the car turns out. Seth Hammond did quite well with a front engine car. There is no "right" way to build a Bonneville car.

Offline freepistol

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:23 PM »
So............if you are running the Texas Mile you probably need a transmission as there is not anywhere near as much room to get going as there is in Bonneville.  Given that you have a large naturaly aspirated gas V8, you might be able to get away with just a clutch and a stout push truck in Utah.

Dwight
So I'm a violin teacher who wants to go to Salt Flats.  At least I have small motor control :-)

Offline Tman

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »
There are so many variables in EVERY question you ask that it is hard for any concise answer. I am building a lakester but don't see it as a car I would EVER run at a short mile type sprint course.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »
You don't see a lot of special construction vehicles running at the miles.  If you want to run short course pavement you will be building a compromise vehicle that will need changes to run the salt.  If you want to run pavement, build for that purpose, if you want to run the salt, the build will be quite different. 
With a good chute we take a mile to slow the car from 200 to 50 or so...
Go to the mile and check out the cars.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 11:32:25 PM »
Dauernheim-Bigelow ran a lakester at Maxton and Loring ... went 226 at Maxton ... Loooooooong car.

Joe

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 07:09:45 AM »
     Das Bullet 7600 ran Maxton, runs Loring, Wilmington, and Bonneville, holds records at all 4.

Ed

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
Those two lakesters were on my mind when I typed my last reply. But, I think the fact they ran ECTA was more of a testing/conveniance thing due to them being East coast cars. They both run at the salt.