Author Topic: Lakester  (Read 8726 times)

Offline freepistol

• New folks
Lakester
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
Hi Guys,

Could you help me with some basic Lakester knowledge?

1. Do they usually have rear brakes only?

2. Do they usually have a solid rear suspension (none) with a suspension up front

3. What kind of transmission or lack there of is usual (I was planning on a rear engine)

4. square steel welded frame, aluminum body panels.

5. Tail fin

Thanks guys,

Dwight

So I'm a violin teacher who wants to go to Salt Flats.  At least I have small motor control :-)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Lakester
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »
first of all where are you going to run  and how fast want to???
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:57:59 PM »
When you decied where you will run. Get a rule book and pick a class. Small motors may go faster than than you think. Our Lakester went 246 in H/BGL and 204 in J/FL. It has a rear  break only and a tail. Springs both ends. Much fun and has gained 6 of us entry into the 200MPH club :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:14:25 PM by Speed Limit 1000 »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »
Dwight, you will answer all those questions for yourself... they are all different.  The rules say no part of the body outside the inner plane of the narrowest set of tires... anything else is builders choice.
We have a rear brake(sort of), full suspension, bike transmissions, round and square tube frame and currently a fin.  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:21:03 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
And listen to these guys^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Stainless and Johnboy know thier cheeit. I rely on them for lots of input building our lakester. Also, look at the build threads, lots of tech questions answered in the replies.

Offline freepistol

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
Sorry not to answer back very fast, I was cooking dinner.  As to where I am going to run, I am pretty sure I will start out at the Texas MIle as it is only 200 miles away.I would like to go to speed week someday.  All this is due to see ing the Spirit of America several times as a kid, and the Blue Flame at the All American Soap Box Derby in Akron once.  I expect a project like this should take years to do, I wish I lived where there was a club as I'm sure the best information out there is the oral history, and hard won trial and error engineering from many, many people.  In any case there are not any plans, kits ,or books on how to whip  up a lakester.  I am building some small models at the moment as it seems like a place to start, and you can't get yourself killed with balsa wood as far as I know.  I would be running a V8 on gas with no blower to start with as there are so many parts around for them.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:24:39 PM by freepistol »
So I'm a violin teacher who wants to go to Salt Flats.  At least I have small motor control :-)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:36:07 PM »
First order a scta rulebook, read it till the print wears off, look at the records, decide which one you can attack and get building... keeping in mind that the number is ever changing.  Don't remember many V8 records under 200, so plan for that when building. 
Build to run the salt and you will be legal everywhere.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline freepistol

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
Thank you all for your kind responses.  I was looking at Goodyear land racing tires, wow you really need to take good care of those!

DLB

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 10:44:58 PM »
to go FASTEST you must be effieient -- minimize drag of all kinds  you must have the best power to DRAG ratio to be a record holder!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
If you are going to run in Texas, you will need bigger brakes front and rear, not near as much room to stop as on the salt.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »
an auto tranny without a torque converter is easier on the tires and has less drag  but for Tx you may want a fat tire and run with one!!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Speedway tires may be better on pavement. LSR tires do not have much rubber on them. Look at a rule book, you have to build to the class record, not to the speed you think you will run. Good luck and please keep us informed on your build.

Offline freepistol

• New folks
Re: Lakester Transmission
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 05:36:49 AM »
would a lakester have an automatic, standard, or no transmission at all (just a clutch)  I found a book, but it is very out of date and it talked about lakesters having no transmission, just a push truck,  I would think an automatic would be easier to to hook a linkage to the rear engine compared to linkage to the standard. Having no transmission would be like being in 4th gear forever.
Thanks,

Dwight

Offline Tman

Re: Lakester Transmission
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »
would a lakester have an automatic, standard, or no transmission at all (just a clutch)  I found a book, but it is very out of date and it talked about lakesters having no transmission, just a push truck,  I would think an automatic would be easier to to hook a linkage to the rear engine compared to linkage to the standard. Having no transmission would be like being in 4th gear forever.
Thanks,

Dwight

How long is a rope? All 3 have been done.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »
It depends on the motor. We run motorcycle motors with 5 or 6 speed trans. Big motors on fuel may be run without a trans. We push to 30 MPH to help save the clutch.