Author Topic: Tires, the latest info  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Tires, the latest info
« on: May 25, 2006, 09:23:31 PM »
Well, at the risk of getting Bob Dury upset again I thought I would let others on the list know that there was a SCTA board meeting last Friday nite. Information was given to the board and clubs regarding a tire test being conducted. A tire co. in England (Barkley?) is building tires for the Noble/Green diesel streamliner through a consortium with the British Gov. The tires have been tested on a "loaded" spin fixture to 450 mph & 5000 lbs. of load. They are 29.7" tall and grow to aprox. 30.1" @ speed. They fit an 18" wheel. These tires (tyres :lol: ) are to be available soon to all interested parties (details coming) for a modest price ($400-450?).

Also in the works ... the Cooper deal is not completely dead yet, as talks seem to continue.

And lastly our friend in Oregon is still working (as time and money allow) on tires too. His 30" mold is said to be complete.

This ought to give us something to hope for in the near future for LSR. At least it will give us something to argue about over the long weekend...

And as for Memorial Day, take a moment and think about how Lucky we are to live in a place where we can build our dream vehicle, and run it on a vast open space just because we want to!
Thank you to all our service men and women.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jimmy six

Tires, the latest info
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 01:31:38 AM »
The company name is Blockley. You can read about their now available tires at www.rogerkrausracing.com  Look under tires..Good Luck...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

Tires, the latest info
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 01:59:43 AM »
Dynoroom,
   I believe the tire tested was shaved down to around .080 of tread left on it. Also during the test the load mechanism for the tire lost a bearing so the load numbers are not accurate. At least that is what I remember hearing. But the outlook is good.  :)   I'm happy.
Regards,
Tom Gerardi
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

tires
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 11:41:19 AM »
At least we all have some thing to be hopeful about.  Dyno, I don,t think I am the only one upset about the tire thing, with over 7,000 hits on my thread about the tire issue.  If and when they are made available, I will be among the happy throng.  My only concern, is the lack of public information being given out to the racers, other than rumors............
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

Tires
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:07:44 PM »
John, not to disagree, but was the information presented from the manufacterer, or from some other source?  On a more positive note, I just got off the phone with Carol Cianciolla at M/T, and she said that they do in fact still have all the molds, and that there has been some discussion in the hierarchy of possible future tire production, but nothing definate at this time.  As for the Blockley tire, I hope for the best, however, unless this is a race specific tire, I see nothing listed that is speed rated over 130 mph, so it makes more sense to me to start with a
Dunlop or other tire already rated at 200 or better.  On the M/T deal, I have a suggestion.  As their were almost l50 of us on the waiting list, and knowing that some of the faster cars want up to two dozen tires, I would assume that a manufacturer could expect to sell around 400 tires the first year, and perhaps 200 per year after that.  If you figure each tire would probably retail for around 500 bucks apiece, that comes up to roughly 200,000 in sales the first year.  My suggestion is to have SCTA administer a refundable trust, with the racers putting their money where their mouths are.  Perhaps  if M/T or some other manufacturer knew that they had a guaranteed 200 grand sitting there, they might take notice.  Just my thoughts............
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

Tires
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 02:15:54 PM »
Well this is strange, My last post was into responce from a post by John R.  that has misteryously just dissapeared.  Jon Amo, whats the skinny here?  Bob
Bob Drury

JohnR

Re: Tires
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 12:34:57 PM »
Quote from: Bob Drury
Well this is strange, My last post was into responce from a post by John R.  that has misteryously just dissapeared.  Jon Amo, whats the skinny here?  Bob

Nothing mysterious, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I decided to delete it. The horse was already beaten to death and hitting it a few more times with a stick won't do any good! :o