Author Topic: Moon discs  (Read 11759 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Moon discs
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
Mitchell
With what you said, and from the pictures, looks like the wheels are billet, with an outer ring screwed on and a screwed on cover for the lug nuts.
 How close to the tire was the "extender ring" (my term)?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
it looked like there wasnt any more then about an 1/16 of an inch from the inboard side of the cover to the tire sidewall .thats as far as i got with em . dennis was very closed lip on them. im also very curious as to how they mount to the wheel itself. i wonder if the center ring is attached internally under the lug nuts when the wheel is put on ? tapped holes in the wheel at the outer ring ? anybody know dennis or sr. mariani ? mabey  they ll give up some info to someone they know better then me ?   mitchell
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:41:33 PM by mitchell968 »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 05:21:48 PM »
Different car.

And I think you're looking at El Mirage records.

You are right and that explains some confusion I was having when I posted.  I thought I saw they set a record in 2012 at 216.4 with I assume the same car considering Slim's post, but then when I looked again I saw the other records and you are right I opened the rule book to El Mirage instead of Bonneville  :oops: :oops:.

So it looks like they did set a record with the car with those wheel covers if they had them on at the time, so I'm assuming that this area might be open to something other than traditional 'moon disks' as the car had to of gone through impound,

Sum

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »
I can see where 1/16 th of an inch might be enough at the bottom of the disk, static, at he widest point of the tire. Never saw any tires that were uniform width at the sidewall. The tire would grow and that space increase at speed. I would be a little concerned about what would happen in a spin or out of shape sideways.

Ron

Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »
At the 2012 World Finals both Dennis Jr. and brother Mark set records with the car(E/StR) and joined the 200 MPH Club. Sometimes you guys read too much into the rules. There is still room left for innovation. The rule book can be made stricter is you all desire. Not wanted in my world.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 11:20:31 PM »
it looked like there wasnt any more then about an 1/16 of an inch from the inboard side of the cover to the tire sidewall .thats as far as i got with em . dennis was very closed lip on them. im also very curious as to how they mount to the wheel itself. i wonder if the center ring is attached internally under the lug nuts when the wheel is put on ? tapped holes in the wheel at the outer ring ? anybody know dennis or sr. mariani ? mabey  they ll give up some info to someone they know better then me ?   mitchell

I know (from talking to Troy Trepanier) that the valve stems are on the inside of the wheel because of the difficulty of removing the covers. I met the guy who made the wheel covers but have for gotten his name. I'm sure you could call Troy Trepanier and get all the Info.
Richard 2
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:45:46 PM by Richard 2 »
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
 The rule book can be made stricter is you all desire. Not wanted in my world.

DW

Thank you Mayor! We need the room for innovation--that is why so many of us are attracted to this sport--we watch, learn,interpolate, innovate and try to get a timing slip "ticket" to visit you in impound !
 :cheers: !!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »
At the 2012 World Finals both Dennis Jr. and brother Mark set records with the car(E/StR) and joined the 200 MPH Club. Sometimes you guys read too much into the rules. There is still room left for innovation. The rule book can be made stricter is you all desire. Not wanted in my world.

DW

Some folks just think too much.  :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 02:07:23 AM »
Wheel covers and the Rhythm Method both make one wonder how much good they do.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 05:48:04 AM »
The Rhythm Method seems to work better with age, lots of it!  :-o :-o :-D

Pete