Author Topic: Question about electric vehicles....  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Question about electric vehicles....
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:49:04 PM »

I am in a place where a rule book is not available and was having a discussion with one of the lackeys on my crew. This question came up and was not sure of the answer:

Do electric vehicles have to be powered with batteries or could they work like diesel electric trains where the wheels are electrically driven but power for the electric motors comes from an engine driven generator? (or combo of both)

Just wondering....

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Question about electric vehicles....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:13:25 PM »
JNuts, if it has a fuel burning motor, it is in a displacement class regardless of the method of power transmission....

Unless maybe if it is a fuel cell converting hydrogen to electricity....

But you will always be in electric class if your motor is battery powered.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:31 AM »
gutsy effort calling one of your crew a lackey......

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline JimL

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:48:27 AM »
Stainless and JH....interesting deal!  I was a little involved with a fuel cell streamliner idea in '05.  The problem is that you run in the weight classes for E streamliners.  Our available stacks/battery/motor packages were 120 hp each.  This would only give us 240 hp through all four wheels and we could not get the design below the 1000kg limit for the slower class.  The stacks are very heavy, and those were the only parts in the program (this was a hybrid fuel cell package).

Also, keeping the stacks down to about 140 degrees is very difficult because you are so close to ambient temp.  You cant move much heat across a 20-30 degree difference. I was seriously considering a constant loss cooling system using liquid nitrogen.

Real tough nut to crack, and you will need to flush and pump down the exhaust side of the stacks in that salt environment.  The last meeting ended in long silence, followed by a short discussion on lunch.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:15:41 AM by JimL »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:51:31 PM »
My experience with DC electric motors and also AC for that matter, is that they are rated at some hp/rpm at some acceptable temperature. If you cool them you can feed them more power (volts and amps) and get more power. Almost any AC electric motor will run at 200% output for a short period of time and the old "U" frame motors would run at 150% continuously. I designed a very large floor type milling machine one time and we decided that we needed more power on the X axis so the GE guy installed larger PWM drives (Pulse Width Modulated) and I added some small blowers to the motors and we had a 100% power increase. This is the tech that the F1 KERS systems work on, the motors are pretty small but they will put out 60 hp for a short period of time.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Frank06

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:04:38 PM »
Rex is correct.  That's why drag racers can take a 36-volt fork lift motor and run it at 200+ volts pumping 2000 amps through it.  It'll last for 10 seconds at a time but burn up if used for much longer than that.
E-Racer