Author Topic: Diesel truck class frame question  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Jase338

• New folks
Diesel truck class frame question
« on: February 10, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
Top of the afternoon to ya. I have a question about what if any frame modifications are allowed in the Diesel Truck Class? I have a 1976 f250 2wd that we're planning on running in the diesel truck class with a C class diesel engine.

Thanks

jase

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Diesel truck class frame question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
Jase, before you get all carried away it might be a good idea to go to an event and see how the rules are interpreted. In your case you might find a Ranger with the same engine in it running in the same class. With the difference in frontal area guess which one will be faster?  :? :-o :-D

Pete
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:30:58 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Jase338

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice Pete, but we already decided that we going to roll in either our 1976 f250 or our other outfit a 1984 f150. we'd love to be able to make to there for event, but money is pretty tight for us diesel mechanics in college :cry:. Here's to hoping that one or two of us can make down there for an event this year. :cheers:

thanks
jase

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »
Keeping in mind that the message board is not intended to provide "official" answers, but more of a discussion, here's what I have learned:

With respect to frame modifications, it seems that there have been many different approaches in the DT classes, ranging from stone stock frames, to nearly fully fabbed tube frames.  What the rulebook requires is that the bodywork must follow the OEM contours (including floorpans).  No streamlining is allowed.

On my "baby" DT project, I was facing some rusted out subframe rails.  I sought and received permission from the SCTA to cut out the bad metal, and weld in fresh steel which is a very close dimensional match to the original subframe rails.

What kind of frame modifications did you have in mind? 

To get an official ruling, contact the SCTA.

SteveM.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Jase338

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:41:45 PM »
I did just that SteveM, I emailed SCTA and here's the reply I received this afternoon.

" You can install a clip in the front and or chop the rear of the frame for clearance around the axle and tub the bed for tire clearance. Yes, you can box the original frame."

Mike Manghelli
SCTA Rules Coordinator

I haven't drafted anything up yet, just been scootin' around looking at others outfits and see what seems to work where. :|

Thanks
Jase