Author Topic: Honey Badger.  (Read 9564 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Honey Badger.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 11:44:15 PM »
Mike, I know nothing about Harleys except that they are asymetrical.  That is why I made the post, it is something to consider.  The folks that are responding know a lot more about them than me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »
It's all good Bo. I've built a few frames and they run straight. Hard but straight :-D The rigid theme never really caught on here. I'm going to put in some serious hours on this one tomorrow. I was having trouble with my mig torch. It fed then stopped and it went on for quite a while so I decided to get a new torch. I'm used to the handle on the one I have but the new one never felt quite right so I never mounted it. I opened the torch one and found lint in the trigger contact. After I cleaned it it was fine, better than ever. I'm putting in the double backbone and the neck tomorrow. I used to use hole saws to fishmouth tubing but now I use a marker and employ the plasma cutter. Once it's a "closish" fit I use the belt sander to finish. I had a 38mm roller made for it so it cleans the slag off beatifully. I had lots of these necks machined in 07 so I haven't got a problem with inventory. Bearing cups are in the freezer tonight. It helps slightly when pressing them in.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
The forks are a bit different.  I usually warm the neck and freeze the bearing races.   I use aluminum cups that I machined to catch the lip on the races.  Hole thru the middle and 3/4" all - thread rod with a 1" nut top and bottom and ratchet them together.

Joe

Offline tauruck

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »
Yup, I also have an installation tool of sorts. Two thick bushings with a step, threaded bar and an air wrench. The cups go in easy. Lots of guys tap them in using a hammer and socket. I'm just busy on a custon truck that needs to be out of here by 3 and then I can get into the interesting stuff. Never fear, I'll be bugging you guys for info in the very near future. Thanks man.