Author Topic: Holset HX55 turbo.  (Read 11027 times)

Offline tauruck

Holset HX55 turbo.
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
Guys, I'm losing my mind here over my first venture into turbocharging. I'm used to normally aspirated motors so not trying to become a know it all I'm leaving that side of the build to experts. The guy in question tells me to buy a Holset HX55 unit with an 85mm turbine and a 76mm inlet. I figured I'd just call the local supplier and get one over the counter. Not that easy. They need part numbers and according to my info there are about 30 variations of the HX55. I've tried Cummins and everybody else to try get info to no avail. Do any of you know of a unit like this?. The only one I know of has had the housing polished and the ID plate removed (why?, I don't know but it would run even hotter) so I'm in a hole after being insulted, laughed at and ignored. Any help would be great.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Holset HX55 turbo.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »
My suggestion to anyone with turbo questions is to call Corky Bell. google him.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
Thanks Fred. I've had one of those days you want to forget. :-D

Offline LandSpeed-DSM

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
Guys, I'm losing my mind here over my first venture into turbocharging. I'm used to normally aspirated motors so not trying to become a know it all I'm leaving that side of the build to experts. The guy in question tells me to buy a Holset HX55 unit with an 85mm turbine and a 76mm inlet. I figured I'd just call the local supplier and get one over the counter. Not that easy. They need part numbers and according to my info there are about 30 variations of the HX55. I've tried Cummins and everybody else to try get info to no avail. Do any of you know of a unit like this?. The only one I know of has had the housing polished and the ID plate removed (why?, I don't know but it would run even hotter) so I'm in a hole after being insulted, laughed at and ignored. Any help would be great.

Are there any casting marks/numbers?

Can you share some pictures.

I am using an HX52. I have the standard 67 and a billet 71.

There are a ton of versions of the HX50/52/55 turbos.
Chris

HX52 fed 2.0L on E85/Water Injection

"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora" - Summa Totius Logicae

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
I managed to get a part number from a member on another forum for an HX50 who says the specs are really close to what I need. It's 35533557. I passed that on to the supplier and he has it in stock. They sell for $1100. Locally someone suggested a Garrett T45 but I don't know if it is up to the task.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
I had a new development today. I've been writing to someone in the States whose company builds some serious race motors so I got in touch today and he recommended the Precision Turbo PT80. The manufacturer gave me the details of a local importer who isn't even listed. I thought they never had an agent here. I was going to call the guy tomorrow but about an hour ago I found an email from him and he's willing to help. One less hurdle. I'm going to have a quiet celebration with two old friends. Justerini&Brooks. It's not one of those Tequila moments. :cheers: I will be selling my prized office ornament, the wife and three of the oldest Jack Russels to afford the turbos but what the heck, I always said I'd run over my mother to win a race.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »
Patience counts even in racing. I tried to buy the two Holset turbos but the guy who runs the agency got rid of me by giving me a price I couldn't afford. He got tired of my dumb questions and blew me off. He's dealing with truck fleets etc so he doesn't need me. The guy he sends his engineering to is my mate Kyle, the drag racer who uses Holset HX55s. Kyle does my motor machining as well. He needs a a whole front body section done for his drag car but he's been slow in getting Holset part nos for me so he takes his unit off the race car and uses it as a sample at the dealer to find the exact model. Long story short, he got two units from the dealer at cost and I'm building the Mazda frontend in leiu of payment. I've got three kegs of resin that were going to be past their shelf life in a month anyway. I get to keep all my stuff including the dog. :-D :-D :-D I might be a bad Catholic because I don't go to mass on Sunday but boy my prayers are being answered. Where does a deal like this come from?. It's frightening. :-o

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
On another note, I am still bird dogging that rod info for you. Sent Mike a note last night, I EXPECT him to answer today, will call them again as well.

I have been working/learning my turbo stuff all week as well. Spent some time on the phone with a couple friends that know these things better than I, thanks Nate and Steve! :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:03:49 AM »
Thanks Trent, I'm only getting the new block in early July so there's no rush. Once I have those turbos here I'll be able to make real progress on installation. It's eating at me to have to use them maybe because I'm old school but there was always this thing that the turbo wasn't real hot rodding. 2 Holleys on a high rise always looked better. I'm going to install the system and leave it to the youngsters to make it work.

Offline Tman

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:35:09 AM »
Screw that! When it comes to hotrodding I cut my timeline at 1964 for most things, but for our speed efforts I am all for turbos and fun experimentation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, guys I have met like Bobby Green doing the real vintage bellytank stuff with early engines get me all wound up. But I like the statement about special construction about being the ultimate expression of a landspeed racecar.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »
Hey Trent, my turbo problem is solved so to speak. Kyle managed to get the two units for me at cost from the agents due to him doing all their engineering. I'm building a one piece frontend for his Mazda 3 drag car so it all worked out fine. I'll get some sleep finally.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »
These are really big units. I'm going to fabricate some mounting plates for them. Do you guys think 10mm plate is about right?. I'm using the flange gasket as a template and I was thinking two bolts on each side should do it.

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »
Do you mean the oil drain or the exhaust flange? For the flange,10mm sounds good, we are cutting mine out tonight.

I have learned through reading Holsets tech info that you want the return line vertical or no greater than a 30 degree angle and that it needs to be big, like 20mm or so, the size of the drain port on the center section.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »
Yes, for the exhaust flange. Thanks Trent, I'll check the other info.

Offline Tman

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
Yes, for the exhaust flange. Thanks Trent, I'll check the other info.

If yours did not come with the manuals you can find them at www.myholsetturbo.com