Author Topic: Altered body rules  (Read 2699 times)

Offline thommysgarage

Altered body rules
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »
I've been working on a 77 Firebird to run as an altered, and I read in the rule book that minor emblem removal is permitted. I'm building this from a bare shell, so I don't have any of the small parts. Is it OK to use a flat piece of aluminum in place of the side marker lights? This would mimick the original bezel since they are flush with the body panels. Also, I puchased a standard size window net, 18x24, and it doesn't look like it will adequately cover the side of the cage. I have installed panels in between the side bars, so it doesn't need to go to the bottom. Can I get a net made to a special size without costing a silly amount?

Offline jl222

Re: Altered body rules
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
I've been working on a 77 Firebird to run as an altered, and I read in the rule book that minor emblem removal is permitted. I'm building this from a bare shell, so I don't have any of the small parts. Is it OK to use a flat piece of aluminum in place of the side marker lights? This would mimick the original bezel since they are flush with the body panels. Also, I puchased a standard size window net, 18x24, and it doesn't look like it will adequately cover the side of the cage. I have installed panels in between the side bars, so it doesn't need to go to the bottom. Can I get a net made to a special size without costing a silly amount?

I would think so, drip rails can be removed and we filled in the gas filler door. Thankfully the ''if its not in the rule book you can't do it'' rule got canned.

DJ Safety made us a full door net at a resonable price. You don't nead a full one like us but we made a cardboard
template of the opening and sent it to DJ. Just make sure top and front is marked on proper side. Somehow our template got marked wrong or not at all and DJ had to make another one. No charge to us though :cheers:

Call DJ and get the info  323  221-0000

JL222

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:49:56 PM »
''if its not in the rule book you can't do it'' rule got canned."

Hasn't been proposed yet. If you don't like it I'm filling out the form today.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fastman614

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
in addition to what jl222 said, also give a lot of thought to your method of affixing the net to be no farther out than the inside plane of your roll cage..... there are several good methods in use....make sure that you have it figured out and at the time of making your net, you can have the loops, belts latches etc installed - it is a lot cheaper than sending it back at a later date for further modifications and/or additions ....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline jl222

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »
''if its not in the rule book you can't do it'' rule got canned."

Hasn't been proposed yet. If you don't like it I'm filling out the form today.

DW

You bet I don't like it Dan. If you do fill it out.

JL222