Author Topic: 2013 UK Motorcycle Records Meeting  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

2013 UK Motorcycle Records Meeting
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:47:07 AM »
The organisers are running an event at Elvington in 2013. :cheers:

On the weekend of 18th and 19th May 2013 bikers will be attempting to beat UK speed records on the tarmac/concrete of the 1.9 mile runway of Elvington near York.

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: 2013 UK Motorcycle Records Meeting
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:21:43 PM »
Malcolm, instead of resurrecting an old thread it is better to open a new one for a new event.  So this is split to a new one for you.
Thanks for keeping the boards informed, lots of you easterners on here.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »
Malcolm,

Where can I find out about motorcycle classes and current records for this event?

Thanks

Peter

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:58:48 PM »
Stainless - you are correct I hit send without absorbing how dormant the original thread had become.

Peterdallen - The classes will be those of the ACU (who are based in Rugby) who are on the internet where the records have been listed. The 200mph.net and straighliners.com websites will I feel sure provide answers about the meeting which straighliners & UKLSRA will run and provide the information you are seeking. 

Malcolm

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »
Thanks Malcolm

I'll take a look. This is my just finished Triumph T100 rigid sprint / drag / salt bike(without slick of course)

Peter

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »
That looks like the rare close finned barrel.  Is it a GP engine?  Nice bike.

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 04:45:20 AM »
It is a close finned motor, but not a GP. However I have just started building a GP motor after scoring a cylinder head recently. But that is for a GP replica I'm building.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 04:51:12 PM »
Peter

I read elsewhere that you may be off to Pendine Sands for trials ahead of going to the salt. Be aware that two wheelers on the sand have found the reaction and 'feel' can often be well away from those you find on salt or tarmac/concrete. Much will depend upon how the tide leaves the surface and sub surface. Enjoy the ride.  Should you need help there are a number of people who have experience on the beach (unless you have already reached out to them). Streamliners find it even worse than the 'sit on bikes' and many have 'fallen over' onto the sand.

Malcolm

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 07:29:46 AM »
Many thanks Malcolm, would be more than happy to listen to those with experience on sand, it's all new to us, both sand and salt, so this first year is a massive learning curve. It is never easy finding places here in the UK long enough to properly test the gearing on LSR type vehicles, hence the visit to Pendine, and also going there for the craic, meet like minded people and generally try to have a good time and share experiences, good or bad.

Will you be going to Pendine yourself?

Peter

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
Peter

Not sure that I can get there for this event, although I may get asked to cover the action for the SRC Newsletter Fast FACTS.

There is a book by Lyn Highes about Bob Berry, which deals with his crashes.

The UK streamliners of Alex Macfadzean and Richard Brown 'struggled' on the sands (euphamism for crashed).

Just to show that cars can have problems too: Barry Bowles crashed the 'Blonde Bombshell' rocket car and the owner of the supercar that was going to be handed over to Mike Newman (the blind driver) crashed it the day before the event by finding a soft patch.

Even driving a roadcar at speed can feel 'odd' - a 'pendulum' swing by the whole car left and right and left ..........

but others have achieved good speeds on the sands in modern times, but there isn't seven miles available.

Malcolm