Author Topic: Russell Wright of the Burns & Wright land speed team has passed away.  (Read 5127 times)

Offline Vinsky

Long time land speed enthusiast and record holder Russell Wright has passed away after a long illness.
It was 1955 when the Russell Wright and Bob Burns took their Vincent Black Lightning to a FIM record of 185.15, with one pass at 198.3. The following year they came to Bonneville but failed to improve their record.
Early in 2005, I was fortunate to locate the Burns & Wright special in a photo of a real estate listing. I contacted the owner, Jeff Elghanayan about Russell's search for the Vincent, and that July 2005 would be the 50th anniversary of the record run. Jeff planned a fantastic reunion at their Lake Arrowhead estate and invited 300 friends and fans to celebrate.  Russell got on the bike as they fired it up and with tears in his eyes and shaking hands revved the beast to life. Russell with wife Elaine then presented Jeff with the large sterling trophy Russell was awarded for setting the record, very pleased that it would always be with the Vincent Black Lightning.
I'm sure many of you have seen the youtube video of the Burns & Wright run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XjoExOoDXU.
There is a stone marker on Tram Rd. Christchurch, NZ marking the record run.  This is where the ashes of Bob Burn were scattered and now the resting place of Russell Wright. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Elaine.
Russell Wright, RIP
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:52:32 PM by Vinsky »
John

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Russell Wright of the Burns & Wright land speed team has passed away.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »
Russ, god speed and rest in Peace :x
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:26:33 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »
Sounds like Russ and Bob are back together for another go... Godspeed guys

Thanks John, Our thoughts and prayers are also with Elaine.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »
Thanks for posting that.  He lived quite a life.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »
Wow, Russell, Sam Wheeler and I posed for pictures in Australia when we went there to race, Russell had the original shirt that had him on it for his FIM record setting runs in 1955.  The shirt was still in the plastic and Michelle and I said he should take it out and wear it proudly and that he could have copies made, the next time we saw him he was wearing that shirt and always had a smile from ear to ear.

He was an icon in the LSR community and many of us are better for meeting him at various stages of our life.

RIP Mr. Wright.  :|