Author Topic: RWB a place for all.  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Mad Max

• New folks
RWB a place for all.
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »
2012 was my first year to attend the BUB speed trials and it will be a part of my life from now on. I am not a rich person and my motorcycle is old and I built it up from scrap. It is a daily rider if there's no snow. As a retirement venture(or adventure) I find old bikes and create what I lovingly refer to as "Montana Cafe' Racers". Since my bike is a conglomeration of parts and mods I named my hobby/business "Mad Max Machines". As stated, my funds are limited even after 50 years of working and paying into Social Security combined with a small government retirement, it is still difficult to make the ends meet. If it weren't for the RWB class making it affordable for me to make the pilgrimage to the salt flats and participate, I would never have experienced the fun and fellowship that is "Bub Week". Not once did anyone make me feel as if I didn't belong. It was apparent there was some major money attending and they invited me to lunch every day. Everyone was friendly and helpful and I know some of my questions were very "rooky" by nature. My son and I felt as if we had been coming there for our whole lives. I hope to see many of the new friends there in 2013 and make even more. If you are like me and limited on income don't let this experience pass you by. RWB is a class that anyone can afford and have a ball. I still have my time slip in my wallet and hope to better it in 2013. Thanks to all, especially those that lent a hand when I needed it(you know who you are). See ya at BUB 2013  :cheers:

Offline nrhs sales

Re: RWB a place for all.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:55:57 PM »
We will see you there.  We are easy to spot with the pink Harley

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:45:55 PM »
Ah yes, the hook has been set. How could anyone just attend one LSR event and stop?

Already piling up parts and saving pennies, have not started the dreams about leaving yet, figure another month or so on those.

Hope to run into you and your son this year!
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:53:26 PM »
The run-watcha-brung class gave me a chance to try out the streamlining we will use in AUS.  It is too extensive to meet AMA rules and it could not be run in them.  The RWB is a nice class to have for many reasons.  Glad that you liked it. 

Offline comet

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:10:32 AM »
haha, that was us a couple of years ago. Dawn and I made the pilgramage, only to watch as it costs too much to ship a bike form over this side of the pond. Next thing you know we volunteered, and we have had a blast. EVERYONE is so freindly it is a pleasure to be a part of it even if it is in such a small way. I hope we can return again and again.
The flight for this year was booked some time ago and August can not come round fast enough. :cheers:

Look out everyone, pasty pale english legs will be on display again, sorry!

John

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:41:35 AM »
I am not sure I should be glad you are hooked, :D I don't ever buy lunch anymore as it cuts into my paltry race funds. I am glad you will be back.

It was nice to meet you!
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »
Hello, comet.  I'll ask it this way:  Since your location is NOT listen in your profile -- and therefore not on each and every post you make -- which side of which pond?  Walden Pond, northeast side?  Left side of Holly Pond, Alabama?

In other words -- this is my way of asking that you enter the information so we know where you're located.  Thanks.

Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline comet

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »
Hi Jon
I am from Kent in the UK. Just South East of London. It's not very sunny here at the minute so Bonny in on my mind. I have a photo of floating mountain on my office wall, quite helpful to drain away the stresses of business  8-)
 cheers
John

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
Okay, now that we know where you are - in this single post -- howsabout you going to the registration page and entering your location in your Profile?  That way, as I said earlier, we'll always know where you are - without having to search through all of your posts to find this particular one where you mention the location.  Thanks.

And now to get really picky - I'm told that the "official" designation for that landmark is "Floating Island", not Floating Mountain.  It is far more widely called the latter -- but the Rice brothers -- the guys that do some of the timing duties out at Bonneville -- insisted that the "island" nomenclature is correct.

Pickiness ends.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline comet

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
all done.  :-D

I have heard it called both. To be fair I probably call it both myself depending on which name jumps into my head first.  :|

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »
Seems reasonable to me. Some times nothing pops to mind.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »
Depends if you are spinning or not , it's there, it's gone, it's there, etc.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Scooter

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »
2012 was my first year to attend the BUB speed trials and it will be a part of my life from now on. I am not a rich person and my motorcycle is old and I built it up from scrap. It is a daily rider if there's no snow. As a retirement venture(or adventure) I find old bikes and create what I lovingly refer to as "Montana Cafe' Racers". Since my bike is a conglomeration of parts and mods I named my hobby/business "Mad Max Machines". As stated, my funds are limited even after 50 years of working and paying into Social Security combined with a small government retirement, it is still difficult to make the ends meet. If it weren't for the RWB class making it affordable for me to make the pilgrimage to the salt flats and participate, I would never have experienced the fun and fellowship that is "Bub Week". Not once did anyone make me feel as if I didn't belong. It was apparent there was some major money attending and they invited me to lunch every day. Everyone was friendly and helpful and I know some of my questions were very "rooky" by nature. My son and I felt as if we had been coming there for our whole lives. I hope to see many of the new friends there in 2013 and make even more. If you are like me and limited on income don't let this experience pass you by. RWB is a class that anyone can afford and have a ball. I still have my time slip in my wallet and hope to better it in 2013. Thanks to all, especially those that lent a hand when I needed it(you know who you are). See ya at BUB 2013  :cheers:

See you there next year from my perch !!!
Scooter

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:05:46 PM by Scooter »