Author Topic: 2013 Changes to Hooley's 974 Studebaker  (Read 70361 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Update on Hooley's 974 Studebaker
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »
An update on what is going on.

As I mentioned before, I think, after the high oil temp on the last run and the decision to go home and check the motor we took the car to my place and pulled the motor and Hooley took it home and checked the bearings.  They looked fine so we might of been able to go on but....he did a leak down test on the motor and one cylinder was low, around 25%.  He could hear air in the adjacent cylinder's intake or exhaust.  He pulled the head and the head gasket was about ready to let go so good thing we stopped.

He installed new gaskets with a sealer and torqued them higher and also had time to run the motor to operating temp and let it set a couple days and retorqued again.  Something he didn't have time for before.  He feels good about it but the block might get O-Ringed over the winter.

I've cleaned the car but still find salt all of the time.  Re-fiberglassed one part of the belly pan that got hurt going on or off the trailer.  Also the same for the bottom of the nose of the frontend.  Replaced 2 of the forward heims on the ladder bars. 

Fixed some of the belly pan mounts that had either broke off or were damaged.  Put in dzus fasteners on the very back belly pan that we had scabbed in just before going to the salt.  Reinforced the frontend suspension stops and added a second brace to them. 

Found some other rims and tires to use on the car when it is in storage and on the trailer.  We also bought 2 almost new landspeed rear tires and rims.  We are also going to mount up 2 tires I had so now will have 2 front and 2 rear spares.

I got 4 new springs for the wastegates that will let us start with basically zero boost at WOT.  With the 8 lb. springs we were using it would go from no boost to 6-8 lbs. and the sudden 200-300 HP in a second or two was hard to control.  Now with the ability to start at zero boost at WOT we should be able to bring the boost on in 2-4 lb increments with the 6 stage Turbosmart boost controller in 3rd and 4th and run on the motor in 1st and 2nd.  Remember the car ran 218 on no boost and 50% throttle.  I think on just motor in the first couple gears the car will actually accelerate faster since you won't have to be feathering the throttle so much.  Then in some of 3rd and 4th we can hopefully bring the boost on in steps that don't keep breaking the tires loose.

I also found a new set of the 'right' overdrive gears for 4th (.865) that Hooley will put in when he gets to our place.  I also found two different sets of higher drive gears for the transmission that drive the countershaft that would also give us a higher 4th with the present two high gear sets we have available now but would also make 1st and 2nd higher which could be good or bad.  At least now we have a better selection of available gears and also gears I could use in the lakester if I buy the same transmission which is what I'm leaning towards.

Hooley is on his way now (Friday) to our place with his wife and sister-in-law.  They are taking their time and should arrive here Sunday.  We will spend a couple days sightseeing in the area and then Wanda and her sister will return home and we will put the motor back in the car and do a few other things and hopefully leave for Wendover Sunday the 30th.

The plan is to put Hooley in the car and run AA/BFCC.  If he gets the record and there is still time we might change to AA/BGCC and I'll drive the car.  This time there won't be any license runs for either of us so we might get a chance to see what the car will do and I'm very optimistic that it is going to be fast if we don't do anything stupid.

I think that is about it,

Sum

Offline Frankie7799

Re: 2013 Changes to Hooley's 974 Studebaker
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
Hopefully ill see you on the salt Sum. Didnt get the chance to meet you at SW

Offline tauruck

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »
I learned quite a bit fom your post Sum. Very interesting. Wish you all the best on the next outing. Thanks.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2014, 01:00:17 PM »
Hooley sent me some pictures of the Stude back at his house and I thought I'd just share them...

We had some changes and a lot of maintenance for 2014 but never got a chance of course to run the car.  Possible changes for 2015 include possibly going to a solid front-end and rear-end.  Other than that, which is big, we would just like to run the car with the new engine/twin turbo combination and see how she does since we only got to make license runs in 2013,

Sumner

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
  Sum, you might try what I have done on my Stude.  I use coil overs on all four corners with super heavy coils (450# on the rear and I think 650# on the front).
  It sits where I want it and has zero spring deflection to hand pressure.  I have several pictures with side views at speed and the same amount of tire shows as it does at rest.
  Keep in mind that I run in CFALT and am required to run suspension.... mine just doesn't work.  I can't remember what you guys have for suspension, but this would be a easy way out.
                                                                                                         I am so sorry to hear about Ruth, take care Sum,
                                                                                                                                Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2014, 07:46:51 PM »
that is one fine lookin' ride
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »
Hooley got the Stude weighed the other day...

... and I spent a little time today figuring the hypothetical CG and CP and a little more time posting how I did this here...

http://1fatgmc.com/car/14-Hooley/14%20-%20hooley-construction-2014-2.html 

Here are a couple pictures from the page and ....

... yes I know this isn't exact but I figure better than just using a 'gut feeling' about where the CP is in relation to the CG,

Sumner

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
Thanks for spelling out your method of finding CP vs. CG.  I found it very helpful.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »
to get the height and left/right of CG you can raise the front scales above rears by 1 foot and rescale, repeat raising the rears.  A little bit of trigonometry and there you go. Same applies for left/right. This way you will know the exact point of CG.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline GH

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Sumner, is the wheel base really 142'?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
to get the height and left/right of CG you can raise the front scales above rears by 1 foot and rescale, repeat raising the rears.  A little bit of trigonometry and there you go. Same applies for left/right. This way you will know the exact point of CG.

Thanks, I get it but our problem is no convenient scales.  Hooley used a truck scale in town on a day that it was close but still usable.  If the car wasn't such a pain to get in the air I guess he could still do it there but I think the car is getting put away for the winter.  Something to add to the 'to do list',

Sumner

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Sumner, is the wheel base really 142'?

Yep, but I wasn't there to see if Hooley still knows how to use a tape measure  8-)

Remember that it got a 2 foot stretch in 2013..............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20construction%20menu.html

How has the Atlas 6 been running in the old truck?  What were your 1/4 mile times?  How much boost?

Sumner

Offline Hooley

« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
Sun, I think Gary is referring to the 142'  [feet]  wheel base as compared to a 142" inch wheel base. just having fun.
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »
Sun, I think Gary is referring to the 142'  [feet]  wheel base as compared to a 142" inch wheel base. just having fun.

I missed that  :cry: but Gary didn't  :evil:

Sum