Author Topic: Thank You AMA !  (Read 2846 times)

Offline pasodude

Thank You AMA !
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
Had a great time last weekend ! & love the AMA hall of frame, thanks :cheers: jeff cauby :cheers:

Offline dr j

• Honda CRF250 & RS125 & 1954 Moto Parilla 175
Re: Thank You AMA !
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »
I agree.  Had a great time.  The banquet was huge and run incredibly smoothly.  I enjoyed meeting more LSR people.  Now back to this year's projects.
Jarl- Moto Madcap
Sharpsburg MD
BUB2012- Morini 350- 4 Mod Pushrod records, Parilla 175- M-VG rec
250cc 4stroke Nitrous Motorcycle- 131.8mph
250/4 Naked Motorcycle-115.6mph
APS/F-125/2 115.2mph
P/PV-175/4 Moto Parilla-59.7mph
29 Retired Maxton Class Records on 3 bikes and 4 engines

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
I am with you on that Jarl -  Great time seeeing, & talking with the BUB L S R people, as well as meeting new friends in the AMA.  The food was excellent, & the desert table - Oh but sooo good.   :cheers:
Working on some minor changes for next year now, & looking forward to seeing everyone at the 2013 BUB/AMA Land Speed Event.
 :-D
I'd also like to add a big time Thank You to Denis Manning, Delvene Manning , Linnea & all the BUB Volunteers.  Without Denis's dream of an all Motorcycle event on the salt coming to reality, and Delvene & Linnea's hard work all year long, along with the many BUB volunteers we wouldn't be going to that banquet.
A BIG Thanks, & Hugs of Happiness to you all.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:44:07 PM by Uncle Jimbo »
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline fastman614

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »
I know that this is a tiny bit off topic but, as a former motorcycle competitor in land speed racing, the history of the AMA on the salt flats is a bit checkered.....

In the late 1970s, the AMA steward was Earl Flanders - with the AMA's tacit blessing, he was extorting "record certification fees" from the racers - and it was CASH ONLY - with NO RECEIPT PROVIDED!..... His claim was that it was to cover his expenses..... the practice had been going on since the beginning.... the trouble was though, that ALL of his expenses were in fact covered by the BNI!....

The AMA, after receiving complaints from racers about this extortion, "investigated" the complaints..... Apparently, Earl Flanders assured them this it was not the way things were at all and thus there was no problem - except, perhaps, "disgruntled" competitors..... After 1978, the AMA was NO LONGER WELCOME at Speedweek. Several of us motorcycle racers stepped up and took over the motorcycle end of inspection and record certification under the BNI banner and that is how it has been ever since....

So, for most of us who were there in the 1960s and 1970s, the AMA is still a topic that is sure to "nettle" many of us.....

For all of the BUB competitors, for all of your sakes, I hope that the AMA is no longer the "high-handed" organization that it seemed to be to us back then....

....and.... I do know that many of you also compete at Speedweek, the World Finals, the dry lakes and with USFRA and I am acquainted with many of you... and I do wish you continuing good fortune in your futures and look forward to seeing you all  again this year at Speedweek and/or the World Finals.year
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline JimL

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 08:58:28 PM »
When I received my 1969 pre-entry packet, with assigned numbers, it was printed in the instructions that Record Runs (up and back, after qualifying) were $20 cash.  Since that was before the days of credit cards, and me not having a checking account (was only 24 days out of Nam when I arrived for tech), this didnt seem unusual to me.  My personal experience was excellent support and guidance by Earl Flanders.

He only chewed me out once, and I certainly deserved it having made a 124 mph pass with a 6 foot beach towel hanging off the seat and flapping against the rear tire.  Mom was a little put out about the damage to a good towel.  Anyway, it sure seemed like he was going hard and everywhere at once.  He even came to Dad and my motel room, late at night, to give some advice to help me go faster.

This was all after he took time to answer my letters from Viet Nam, through the two years I built the bike on leaves and by mail order.  This is how I remember him.

Regards, JimL

Offline baron

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »
I know that this is a tiny bit off topic but, as a former motorcycle competitor in land speed racing, the history of the AMA on the salt flats is a bit checkered.....

In the late 1970s, the AMA steward was Earl Flanders - with the AMA's tacit blessing, he was extorting "record certification fees" from the racers - and it was CASH ONLY - with NO RECEIPT PROVIDED!..... His claim was that it was to cover his expenses..... the practice had been going on since the beginning.... the trouble was though, that ALL of his expenses were in fact covered by the BNI!....

The AMA, after receiving complaints from racers about this extortion, "investigated" the complaints..... Apparently, Earl Flanders assured them this it was not the way things were at all and thus there was no problem - except, perhaps, "disgruntled" competitors..... After 1978, the AMA was NO LONGER WELCOME at Speedweek. Several of us motorcycle racers stepped up and took over the motorcycle end of inspection and record certification under the BNI banner and that is how it has been ever since....

So, for most of us who were there in the 1960s and 1970s, the AMA is still a topic that is sure to "nettle" many of us.....

For all of the BUB competitors, for all of your sakes, I hope that the AMA is no longer the "high-handed" organization that it seemed to be to us back then....

....and.... I do know that many of you also compete at Speedweek, the World Finals, the dry lakes and with USFRA and I am acquainted with many of you... and I do wish you continuing good fortune in your futures and look forward to seeing you all  again this year at Speedweek and/or the World Finals.year

You are incorrect Fastman, your post was not a tiny bit off topic, it was way off topic. Hmmm 35 years ago....two words...Let Go.   THANKYOU BUBS AND THE AMA!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Scott

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

"For all of the BUB competitors, for all of your sakes, I hope that the AMA is no longer the "high-handed" organization that it seemed to be to us back then...."

You are incorrect Fastman, your post was not a tiny bit off topic, it was way off topic. Hmmm 35 years ago....two words...Let Go.   THANKYOU BUBS AND THE AMA!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Scott

I agree Scott  -  I will also add that Ken Saillant the AMA Racing Track Steward, Drew Gatewood the Chief AMA Technical Steward run a tight ship, with no funny business.
Delvene & her crew of volunteers are the best there is, always ready to help with info for newbees and any information you might ask for. They really keep the show moving along smooth with Rex & Tom in the tower, It just doesen't get much better for a motorcycle land speed event.  They have come a long way in nine years.
We all owe Denis a huge vote of appreciation for manifesting  the idea.  .

The all motorcycle AMA BUB event is the place to race your motorcycle in my book. :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:33:56 PM by Uncle Jimbo »
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664