Author Topic: Educate Me On Hood Scoop Rules!  (Read 13365 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Educate Me On Hood Scoop Rules!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
Ok, guys, we are going to treat this strictly as streamlining, and leave the scoop battle for someone else.We will modify the scoop buy cutting it approximately like the pic.

The official say:

The rules committee agrees that at this time, if you remove the tail section of your scoop that is climbing up the windshield to the top of the car past the vertical plane of the cowl, we will back you up that it complies with the rules. Add this email to your log book files...

Dan, I know all of know you have personal lives and these things take up a lot of your time. Once again, many thanks! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline jl222

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »
Ok, guys, we are going to treat this strictly as streamlining, and leave the scoop battle for someone else.We will modify the scoop buy cutting it approximately like the pic.

The official say:

The rules committee agrees that at this time, if you remove the tail section of your scoop that is climbing up the windshield to the top of the car past the vertical plane of the cowl, we will back you up that it complies with the rules. Add this email to your log book files...

Dan, I know all of know you have personal lives and these things take up a lot of your time. Once again, many thanks! :cheers:

Dang.. can't these committee members read the rule book :-o? Or are they talking about the very top by the trailing edge of the windshield? Seems they should allow whats in the rule book. Again the ''cowl'' definition. Are they saying the firewall is the end or start of the cowl?

''No part of a foward facing hood scoop can extend foward of the leading edge of the hood,be more than 11''
above the surface of the hood at the centerline or extend past the trailing edge of the hood more than 11''.
Clearance between the scoop and the windshield must be a minimum of 1/2''.''

DOES it say it can extend 11' past the trailing edge of the hood with a minimum clearance of 1/2'' or NOT.

Don't cut anything untill you get an explaination of this in writing.

JL222

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:31:49 PM by jl222 »

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 06:25:19 AM »

The official say:

Dang.. can't these committee members read the rule book :-o? Or are they talking about the very top by the trailing edge of the windshield? Seems they should allow whats in the rule book. Again the ''cowl'' definition. Are they saying the firewall is the end or start of the cowl?

''No part of a foward facing hood scoop can extend foward of the leading edge of the hood,be more than 11''
above the surface of the hood at the centerline or extend past the trailing edge of the hood more than 11''.

DOES it say it can extend 11' past the trailing edge of the hood with a minimum clearance of 1/2'' or NOT.

JL222

I believe you are confusing two separate rules.  We (flatcad) are concerned with streamlining rules, and the rule you are refering to has to do with an unblown hood scoop.

I am happy that people from the SCTA took the time to help us with this.  I did not want the car to arrive at an event and not be legal.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »

The official say:

JL222

John,

You would be correct, if we followed the 'hood scoop' definition. Unfortunately, the definition for the scoop is for unblown cars, with no provision for blown cars. I don't like the definition, but it is what it is.

Because our scoop is over 11" tall, we had to fall back on the streamlining rules, which means the 'scoop' must end at the cowl.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline jl222

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »

It seems now that you guys submited the drawing for approval, or is the drawing what the coupe committe
came up with.

I would resubmit with a drawing following the unblown hood scoop rules.
  There is nothing about what class the rule is for and not considered streamling. It would [ at least ] be interesting how SCTA could deny the request because its blown.

I would bet money that next year ''blown'' will be in the rule as there are several blown cars folowing those rules.

I also wouldn't worry about causing to much work for the committee as that is what their suposed to do, if its to much work they could or should leave.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »

Look thru some Bville programs several pics of blown cars going by the ''unblown'' hood scoop rules, even comp coupe. If SCTA does't allow blown cars using unblown rules a bunch of cars will be illegal.

Including Gale Banks and the Hot Rod Magazine Special.

JL222