Author Topic: Valve spring oilers  (Read 8624 times)

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
Valve spring oilers
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:18:59 PM »
I'm putting two motors together for this year and I want to use valve spring oilers. I'm using some T & D rockers that have a spring sprayer hole on one of the motors, but the other motor has a custom fabbed valve cover on one side. (it is clearanced for a centrifugal blower) so I can't use the 3/8" spacer type oiler. Any one know of a kit or plans for valve cover oil manifold? What about orifice size?
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Valve spring oilers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »
gearhed,

About 20 years ago, valve spring oiling (cooling) was a new & novel concept.  We fabbed up what we needed in the prototype shop.  I spec'd the orfice size at .020" (#76) to .029" (#69)   Spray was from small aluminum blocks drilled to the orfice size.  Spray was aimed @ the retainer bottom (high side).  Tiny spray nozzles would be better, but I don't know where to look for them.

Worked like a champ, but the engines were seriously dry sumped, ie: a pressure segment for both heads & a scavenge for each head.

I personally don't know about kits, but I'll bet current Nascar engines have this technology...........
 :cheers:
Fordboy 
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »
gearhed,

About 20 years ago, valve spring oiling (cooling) was a new & novel concept.  We fabbed up what we needed in the prototype shop.  I spec'd the orfice size at .020" (#76) to .029" (#69)   Spray was from small aluminum blocks drilled to the orfice size.  Spray was aimed @ the retainer bottom (high side).  Tiny spray nozzles would be better, but I don't know where to look for them.

Worked like a champ, but the engines were seriously dry sumped, ie: a pressure segment for both heads & a scavenge for each head.

I personally don't know about kits, but I'll bet current Nascar engines have this technology...........
 :cheers:
Fordboy 

How about using cab jets??? Saw some nascar valve covers on fleabay that had the rigs installed on them. Weren't cheap.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
You'll get a better spray (smaller droplets, more range) with .020", but I've read that apertures below about .030" tend to clog.
Crude method: lengthwise thick-walled alum cylinder with pressure feed at either (or both) end(s), OD small enough to miss the flying bits, ID is distribution. Tube can pass out of both ends of valve cover, thread the ends and use Stat-O-Seals and nuts for leakage.
Drill 1/32" holes as needed; the tube can be rotated to clock the spray where you want it. If the X-area of the tube is small, use smaller holes closer to the pressure feed.
Important: use a fixture for drilling, the hole edges must be sharp and identical.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
An alternative to drilling .020" holes would be to silver solder in short lengths of tube . McMaster #89895K115 is 1/8" x .049" wall (.027" ID) 304 SS . Think I'll make mine that way .

Offline TNTHEMIENGINES

• New folks
  • 928-412-4049
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
Instead of reinventing the wheel, you could go with a proven available setup. Moroso makes SBC (68329), SBF (68339) and SB MOPAR valve covers with built in oilers. I have used them for years and never had an issue with clogging.

Offline toclub

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:40:08 PM »
I have a new set of valve spring oilers that I bought for our engine but they due not fit the RFE heads. They are for the standard 24 degree BBC heads. They are CNC alum. plates that fit between the heads and valve covers.  Let me know if you are interested and I will send you a pic. I am asking $150 plus shipping.