Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 340485 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #795 on: February 27, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »
What a nice clean build and the wiring is very neat and simple. Oh that more would do the same.

The light coloured interior is a great example of how things should be done. It's easy to work on and more pleasant to drive as well as being much easier when checking for cracks or other faults.

Very well done Joe. You set a fine example for others.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #796 on: February 28, 2015, 02:27:45 PM »
Excellent work!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Tman

« Reply #797 on: March 08, 2015, 11:21:20 AM »
Nice progress!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #798 on: March 09, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »
Thanks guys!

I took a bit of a hiatus this weekend to help a friend who is putting an LS into a rock crawler that is bound for Easter Jeep Safari in Moab. The engine was already installed and I was called in to mate the factory Jeep harness to the LS engine harness. Pretty straight forward task. I really should have spent the weekend on Hank, but the distraction allowed me to put a few extra bucks into the Henry J fund.

I should have some more parts back from the powder coater today. In the mean time I've been plumbing as much as of the car as I can. There's a few odds and ends I need to wrap up, and soon enough I'll be on to the final body work, and getting ole Hank prepped for paint!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #799 on: March 09, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
Very clean and well organized work!   The devil is in the details, and it looks like you have it sorted out.  :evil:

I like the bulkhead fittings.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #800 on: April 02, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »
Just a quick update. I've been a block sanding fool for the better part of two weeks now. I sure thought ole Hank was a lot straighter than it is. I guess the block doesn't lie. If all goes well I'll be ready for the second coat of primer by this weekend!

Wheels are back from the powder coater, and the engine is well on its way!

Only 127 days left...
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #801 on: April 02, 2015, 10:39:14 PM »
Rock on Joe :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline tauruck

« Reply #802 on: April 03, 2015, 12:21:59 AM »
No envy from me on the sanding.
You wish you could pay someone to do that!!! :-D

Joe, it looks great.

You do such nice work.
God Bless you man. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline gasblender37

« Reply #803 on: April 03, 2015, 09:02:11 AM »
I have been working with 2 other guys, and we recently formed an LLC partnership.  I haven't announced the full plans yet.  Our group has a face to face meeting tonight (about money).  Once some money changes hands, I'll be in a better position to share the rest of our plans.

In any event, I will not be on the salt in 2015, but hope to return in 2016. 

More details to follow.

Steve.

Steve,
I am interested in doing the LLC thing sometime in the future. I realize you do not want to reveal your plans and I totally understand. With that said, would you consider explaining how your team came to a consensus on what class, engine size, design, etc.?
Thanks,
Skip
Skip

"Sometimes you get what you want and it is not what you expect."
"I reckon if this stuff was easy, everyone would be settin' records"

Offline SteveM

« Reply #804 on: April 03, 2015, 10:48:58 AM »
The plans for the actual race vehicle are not a secret.  We are chasing diesel truck records for now.  It was the partnership that I didn't want to share details about, until the money was in place and the ink was on the paper.  King, Hake, and Menendez, LLC. is the new entity, registered in the state of Missouri.

As far as the race vehicle, I already had the #672 H/DT.  The early successes with that truck attracted one of the partners.  The other guy was already on board.   We have some fantastic sponsors, namely F-Tune Performance, Dieselmeken AB, and Bauman Oil as primary sponsors.  We absolutely could not move forward without their support and expertise.

We spent some time brainstorming which other classes we could run, and assessing our chances for new records.  We decided to stick with DT for now, just going up in displacement.  The truck will be a G/DT the next time it's seen on the salt.  There is also room for an F-class Diesel engine under the hood.   Additionally, we may chase some of the gasoline mini-truck records with this Rampage.  After that....it's anybody's guess.

Steve.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:51:29 AM by SteveM »
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline gasblender37

« Reply #805 on: April 03, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »
Steve,
Thanks for sharing.
Skip

PS- I promise not to hi-jack lsrjunkie's great build thread anymore  :dhorse:
Skip

"Sometimes you get what you want and it is not what you expect."
"I reckon if this stuff was easy, everyone would be settin' records"

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #806 on: April 03, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
 :-D No sweat Skip.  :-D

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #807 on: April 10, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »
Good news is that the body work is done! Ole Hank will be getting a second coat of primer tomorrow morning. I'll block the second coat Sunday, and hopefully we'll be ready for paint.

Had my brother down from WA this week and we went through the data logger that he built. We've got TPS, HO2S, GPS Speed, Rear Wheel Speed, an ECT. It all downloads to an SD card every 300mS. Yank the card out, stuff it in a laptop, and Viola! You have a great big table of info that you can graph and do all kinds of neat stuff with.

My cam blank arrived yesterday. Thanks to Joe Panek @ Rotofaze.

I managed to get my engine guy in on this project and he's agreed to cover the engine stuff in exchange for a few rides on the salt!

My fuel system is sorted, and my ignition system will be coming in the next week or so. Ole Hank is getting closer every day!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #808 on: April 10, 2015, 12:17:05 PM »
Here's a quick teaser of the colors I finally decided on for Hank...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #809 on: April 10, 2015, 10:55:32 PM »
Good to hear you're almost ready for color.

I think you chose wisely on that orange.
Great color. Can't wait to see the finished
product. :cheers: