Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 340559 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #705 on: August 20, 2014, 09:47:28 AM »
Well, the nose is all screened up and ready for some 'glass. I'm more than a little nervous about this process. I've got a lot of time in this part and I darn sure don't want to ruin it. Or worse yet get all the 'glass laid and end up with it looking like a cobblestone street.

Wish me luck! I'm moving on to some other stuff this week and hopefully be doing the fiberglass this weekend. Gotta make a run to Montrose, about 20 miles down the road, to get cloth and epoxy resin.

This is a terrible picture, but after some fiddling, it's the best one I could get that would show the screen stretched over the frame.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #706 on: August 20, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »
Joe, you amaze and inspire me. :cheers:

Only advice I can give is to put a very, very lightweight fabric over your part followed by a layer of peel ply.
Let it cure completely. Next day peel the ply from the job and you can go heavier fabric wise.
That way you won't get sagging. You'll be OK. :wink:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #707 on: August 20, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
I'm not a fiberglass guy... but I have had to build a few things with it, so you glass pros should chime in here... I would probably use a very light cloth for the first few layers so it does not weight down the screen until you have some more structure.  A peel ply will reduce your sanding requirements....
OK, now the real glass guys should jump in here  :cheers:

Good, Mike types faster than I do.... he has credibility
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #708 on: August 20, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »
It's amazing how this web site has helped so many and answered so many questions. When one looks into the archives to see builds and others offer additional suggestions to make the job easier and other shortcuts during fabrication makes logging onto this site totally worthwhile. Even when on the road having a smartphone to look at while taking a break makes the trip shorter. Finding parts or people is a simple as typing and getting answers is awesome. It has brought our world of LSR much closer.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #709 on: August 20, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »
That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the input guys. good to know I'm on the right track.

Mike, that comment means a lot coming from you! Your work always blows me away. Thank you!

Glen, I'm grateful for all the information and all the contacts I have made through this site. I can guarantee my build would not be progressing the way it has with out it!

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline JoshH

« Reply #710 on: August 20, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »
The only thing about peel ply is the force its going to take to pull off. With only a thin layer of glass there and the wire mesh, the force applied could deform the wire mesh. That being said I've dealt with different peel ply's that require different amounts of force to remove.

I’m wondering if you stick the first layer consolidate; remove excess resin and air bubbles let it cure to the ‘green’ stage then do the next layer. Green stage is basically partially cured, but stiffener then freshly laid. This way you can progressively add more material without using peel ply initially. The idea is to get a couple layers that can sustain the peel ply removal without damage. Maybe Mike can chime in on this idea.

On another note.

I'm concerned that you're committing your frame to the layup process. If something goes wrong it’s going to be a mess to correct. I've done a similar technique with wire mesh many years ago but after the wire work was done I covered with masking tape then lay'd up the part in a single shot, it was rigid enough to take the weight unlike your case. Instead of masking tape I would recommend aluminum duct tape. Basically you would cover the entire wire structure with the aluminum tape, and then spray PVA, and layup. The aluminum tape will give you a nice smooth surface and also add some stiffness to the wire mesh, it also has the benefit of not bonding to the glass, although I still use PVA over it so it pulls off easier.

After the part is lay’d up you’d release it from the tool. Remove the tape and wire mesh from your frame then bond the body panel to the tubular frame with 3M Scotch Weld and rivets.

Sorry if this clouds your thinking, just want provide some of my experience.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #711 on: August 20, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »
Josh has a point but both of us are talking like Joe already knows the trade.

Scrap the peel ply idea. Get some micro balloons from your resin supplier.
Pour some into an old stocking (not the Christmas kind).
When the resin is tacky to the touch hold the stocking on the thin end and shake it over the part.
It will deposit a layer of micro balloons across the part and when everything is cured you'll be able to lay up the next layer without having to sand.
You'll get a good mechanical bond.

News flash. Josh and I are going into business. We "have rollers, will travel". :-D

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #712 on: August 20, 2014, 03:27:10 PM »
If that's the case Mike, grab Josh, and head on over my way. Colorado is beautiful this time of year. We've got a spare room, and I'll feed ya a few cold beers and a good steak or two.

I'm guessing my week long project would take you two less than half the time.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #713 on: August 20, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »
Thanks for the offer Joe. If I could I'd be there. :cheers:

The mesh idea is actually better than you think.
You taught me something. :wink:

I have faith in you. You'll do fine.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #714 on: August 21, 2014, 09:54:52 AM »
Moving right along, I finally overcame my tape measure woes last night. I removed the bar in the cage that I DID NOT take into consideration when measuring for my water tank. Put the water tank where I had initially planned and reinstalled the bar. I even had enough fore thought to position the bar where I could get the tank in and out easily!

I also came up with an excellent solution to my rear firewall problem, maybe not so much a problem as a lack of rear firewall. I'll keep you all posted.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #715 on: August 21, 2014, 12:38:56 PM »
Joe, that's a well thought out build.
The finish is marvelous. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #716 on: August 21, 2014, 02:28:19 PM »
Not sure if it's well thought out Mikey, or if I'm just good at covering my a$$ when I screw up.  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #717 on: August 21, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
That's what building one of the salty cars is all about.
My experience so far. :-D

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #718 on: August 21, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
Looking good Joe!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #719 on: August 23, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »
Well, no fiberglass this weekend. My supplier didn't get the epoxy resin in. I guess you'll have that from time to time.

Good news is I'm making headway elsewhere. Made quite a bit of progress in the rear firewall department, as well as turning an original wet sump pan into a snazzy dry sump unit. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Having the car close to home has been one of the best things that could have happened to this build!