Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 340483 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 09:36:52 AM »
Thanks Duck! I'm pretty happy with it so far!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
Got a truck load of pipe today! :-D Looks like a big puzzle to me. Too bad I don't have the picture that's on the box so I know what it's supposed to look like when I'm done! Guess I'll be notching and welding all weekend!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
you're not foolin around . Good progress fella, I watchin this with interest. :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 01:32:52 PM »
Just for the record, if any one needs a tubing notcher, don't buy one from Harbor Freight! Usually their stuff will get ya through a job. Not this thing! The center line of the clamp is about a half inch inboard of the arbor for the saw.  :-o Spent an hour and a half this morning reengineering their crappy tool. Good news is, the main part of the cage, along with the dash and shoulder bar is in!  :-D Gonna work on the rear suspension and such while I wait for an ok on my front axle configuration.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »
And Thanks Doc!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »
On your tube notcher I would suggest using Lenox hole saws. I bought one of the Trick Tools high dollar notchers and also 3 of their recommended hole saws. Not one of them made over 3 cuts before they started loosing teeth and usually by the 5th or 6th cut they were junk. I also tried Milwaukee and  Master Tool both better but still certainly not nearly as good as the Lenox brand. I have used a single Lenox cutter to do over 75% of the tube notching on the cage project I am working on and it is still sharp and has all of its' teeth. I do not abuse the hole saw when I use them, I use oil an only light pressure on the saw, but the Lenox is the best.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 02:55:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice Rex! I'm gonna have to pick one of those up tomorrow! I believe the one I was using is a Milwakee, and I made about eight cuts, and it's hammered!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
The Dewalt hole saws that I have used were very good. Lennox is also excellent. You want to make sure you buy a "bi-metal" saw and use plenty of cutting oil. Too coarse teeth are more prone to breaking; too fine and the cut takes forever.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
Joe, you're making great progress- wish I moved that fast! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
  I've found that just about any of the saws will work well if you use the slowest speed of the drill press or hand drill. The old type of cutting fluid with trichlorenhane worked best, but apparently it will kill you so they don't make it any more. Have to use lots of the oily stuff. Remember, on hole saws, "Speed kills".
  Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 08:52:07 PM »
Junkie, What are your front hubs and spindles? 
Richard
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
Richard, I am using early Chevy (49-54) car spindles, and Wilwood hubs. Now not to get to crazy, and I hope I don't lose ya, here's how it works. The early Chevy spindles won't work with the hubs right off. Speedway can machine your spindles or you can buy them already done. Next, Speedway sells a very nice Wilwood disc brake kit that fits their modified Chevy spindles. Sadly, you can not get the kit piece meal. So, next step is call Wilwood explain to them what you need. Guy on the phone is convinced that, A. I have no idea what I am talking about. or B. I have no idea what I'm talking about! Finally yer both on the same page and yer hubs are in the mail! Next, call Speedway and get the wheel bearings that are for the hubs, consequently the only part of the kit you can get piece by piece. And finally screw the whole mess together and... TAAADAAAHH! Something to bolt yer front wheels to! So any way, you can readily get that setup. Just takes a little bit of leg work. Any questions?  :-D

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »
Here's some cage pics so far. And I got the rear diff squared up and ladder bars installed! Nobody in the bustling metropolis of Delta has a hole saw so the cage is at a stand still for now. Luckily I have a whole six months before the car needs to be ready!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »
Thanks Buddy! I really wish things were progressing a little quicker. Tubing notcher situation has really got me down. Found a good one to borrow from a buddy of mine, but I really wanted to have the majority of the cage done this weekend.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
If you cant get "real"cutting fluid, try transmission fluid. it was recommended with the notcher I got from speedway and made a couple of dozen notches and the saws are usable.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15