Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 340523 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

My salt addiction
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:55:05 PM »
So... Here we go! First things first, I went to Bonneville for the first time in 2010. Saw so many cool cars and bikes that, in my gearhed mind, the next logical step was to build one of my own. At that point I had a 1950 Chevy business coupe that I thought would fit the bill. Fast forward a couple years. I managed to aquire a 1951 Henry J that had served duty as a gasser in it's previous life. Long story short, I fell in love with ole Hank and the Chevy got sold to fund my addiction. Decided to try and build a car to run XO/GCC. Started to gather parts and picked up a Chevy 292 six to power the car. Started getting engine parts together and late one Saturday night enjoying a beer on the couch I realized I don't know how to read. 292 came out in '62! Welp, that won't work! And so started the quest for a 302 GMC.

Well, enough back story time for some pictures!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 06:01:19 PM »
This is how the car looked when I got it down to the shop. Straight axle with spindle mount wheels and brakes. Poor old gutted 9" Ford, and a one piece fiberglass front end. Not really much more.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »
First step was to chop the top so I could get some measurements for the cage.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
We took approx. 5 inches out of the roof ront and rear. Right now my cage pieces are in route and should be here tomorrow! I plan on installing a ten point cage, but as per the rule book I'm definitely gonna have to add some additional bars. So while waiting for the cage I decided it was time to work over the front axle and figure out a wheel base that would accomadate my engine. Got the front hubs installed and after a bunch of mock up, eyballing, and a lot of good advice from you all, I figured we will need to stretch the front of the car about 12-15 inches.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »
I am going to try and use a reversed Corvair steering box and traditional "hot rod" style drag link and tie rod setup with 5/8" heims to turn the old car. Gotta figure out how much caster I need and get some stops welded to the axle.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
After the front hubs were finished up I moved on to the rear diff. A GM 10 bolt with an 8.5" ring gear. Stuffed some 2.73 gears and spool in the center section and all new bearings. Trimmed the c clip grooves off of the axles and installed c clip eliminators, then sewed on some 12" disc brakes.

I've been working on the car solo so progress is slow but I really hope to have her ready for Speedweek!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
Almost forgot!! Chopped and sitting at ride height! Like I said earlier the spindle mounts have gone by the way side. Got my wheels from Marsh Racing!!

I plan on running a 28"tire in the rear and a 23" tire up front.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 06:34:37 PM »
Lost the picture in the last post. Here it is... hopefully

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »
And of course gratuitous wheel pictures! Sorry the one is a little blurry.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 08:54:14 PM »
Sweet project!!  Since you're going for comp coupe, are you going to modify the front end? :cheers:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »
Good looking start, nice to see another Colorado car getting ready. Just today I went to visit an old friend that sold his salt car and he still has some older but never mounted Goodyears. Two 24 inch and four 28 inch, I think. I could get you a great deal on some good tires.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »
Bville, I really didn't want to due to time constraints, but because I am putting a six cylinder in a car that originally had a four, the style of front suspension I am using, and for the plain fact it will probably drive better at speed I am going to stretch the wheelbase about 12 or 15 inches and by doing that I will have to lengthen the car, from the cowl forward so the tires line up with the wheel well. Probably gonna stretch it by lengthening the fiberglass front clip so I still have plenty of room to work on the engine.

1000, appreciate the offer but I got the tire situation handled. Got a good friend who owns a tire store. He got me the tires and load balanced all four wheels for me.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »
Well, I have officially decided freight companies suck! Cage ordered 12/18. Tracking showed delivery for today and... Drum roll please!
Won't be here till tomorrow. Damn. At least the cage isn't a critical piece for the build... So, to the fridge I go. Cold Budwieser in hand, grinder in the other. It's time to hack the old 9" out of the car and start mocking up my snazzy new ten bolt GM. Pictures to follow!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »
9" gone, ten bolt in!  Or at least positioned under the car. Still playing with ride height a little, but at least we are close!

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 09:33:04 AM »
Lookin' REAL sweet...  8-)
Team UnorthoDUX