Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341615 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »
Shortening the pitman arm will do the same thing for less money and less links to get loose.  But the reversed quickener works, too -- ask the Montana Dodge Boys.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »
Quickeners can be found anywhere you find circle tracks, I've bought 2 used ones locally, $15 and $30, both needed cleaning and greasing to work perfectly, but had to change a $4 seal in the cheap one.  Have one newly installed in the lakester, other one is headed to the Liner.  Both 2:1, they also come in 1.5:1.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »
Tman, The "old" comment was more based on experience than age!  :cheers:

As far as steering geometry goes, I have always found that when yer building a "traditional" hot rod front end end you need draw a line between the rear pivot point of your front trailing arm, wether it is a split wishbone or hair pins, and your steering arm and run your drag link in that line. That will eliminate 90 percent of bump steer. As well as the "shimmy". I actually had a good friend put his Model A in the ditch because of front end shimmy!

I may shorten the Pitman arm, not only for aesthics but to slow the steering down as well.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Tman

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
Tman, The "old" comment was more based on experience than age!  :cheers:

Don't listen to me then!  I have only been doing this a few years

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  :-D A few is still a heck of a lot more than my none!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline DND

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2013, 11:56:44 PM »
Maybe you could build a taller mount for your steering box, then your drag link could run straight to the steering arm and not up hill like it is now.

Move it back some too for a longer link.

Don

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »
Been working on more cage stuff this week while I'm waiting for my transmission adapter. Got the funny car don't crush my head part of it all in last night. Once my adapter shows up I can get the engine and trans mocked up and finish up the cage. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
It looks good. Very nice cage. You'll feel safe sitting in there. Great job. :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
Thanks tauruck!  :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »
Well after a weekend long distraction I'll be back at it this evening. Hopefully! Spent the weekend helping a freind put a TH400 in place of a 700R4. Turns out the new 472BBC was a little much for the tired old 700! We need to finish up the cross member tonight and if all goes well I'll have a few more pieces of tubing notched and tacked in place on my own project!

Steve @ Buffalo Enterprises tells me my adapter should be here end of this week or begining of next! Once I get the motor mocked up it should give me an idea of how much more tubing for the cage I will need!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »
The project is looking great, and this has to be one of the fastest-developing cars being built today.

:-D :-D

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »
The sam can definitely be said about your build Steve!  :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
People keep asking me "When is it going to be done?"  I tell them that the World of Speed is in September, and I need to be ready by then.  They usually follow up by asking "Do you have enough time to get it done by then"- to which I reply somthing like "If I keep working on it, it will get done.  If I don't work on it, it won't get done.".

My plan is to just keep plugging away, checking items off the list.

The machine shop was supposed to have my engine done last week, but hit a snag (typical machine shop stuff).  Anyway, they have promised to have the work done by this weekend.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »
I know that feeling all too well! The usual reaction is disbelief when I say I'd like to run in August. Waiting for parts has been the worst part of this project!

My list is slowly getting whittled away. Keep it up man, I feel your pain!

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »
People keep asking me "When is it going to be done?" 

Steve.

as I have posted before~~
Diane asked, > | are you done in the garage yet? |  <

" hon, I'll never be done . "

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear