Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341831 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #780 on: January 22, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »
So I have a very large portion of my car being powder coated as we speak.

One more piece of the puzzle showed up this morning. After a very long and thorough look at all my options I decided on a Davies Craig EWP for my cooling system. Hoping it will live up to its reputation.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #781 on: January 22, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »
I will be very interested to hear your impressions of the Davies-Craig pump.   That is the most likely path I'm going to take for my 2 liter MB engine.  They have an excellent reputation.

Steve
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #782 on: January 22, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
What, it's not an electric turbo??? interested in you results as well as I see a water tank in my future.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Tman

« Reply #783 on: January 24, 2015, 10:21:37 PM »
Looking good Joe!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #784 on: February 05, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
Thanks Trent! I'll be in touch soon for some fittings for my cooling system.

Still making progress. The weather is supposed to be decent this weekend so I plan on doing quite a bit. It's hard to keep a shop warm when its below freezing outside!

I had a friend machine an aluminum plate to mount the water pump. There was no solid way to mount the pump, and I don't feel comfortable just letting it hang from the hoses. If this mount works out, I'll have a cnc program to duplicate it. Should come in handy for anyone else running a Davies-Craig pump.

I'll try to get some pictures up for you lot this weekend.

Wish me luck!  :-D
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #785 on: February 05, 2015, 10:52:02 PM »
I hope the weather gives you a break Joe. :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #786 on: February 09, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »
Thanks Mike!

While the rest of the country is getting rain, and snow, it has been unusually warm here for the last few days. I managed to spend a fair bit of time on ole Hank this weekend. Got my water pump mounted, battery box sorted, brakes plumbed and bled, and a truckload of miscellaneous electrical bits ordered. My plan this fall was to have everything done on the car I possibly could, so when the spring and summer rolled around I wasn't loosing my mind trying to be ready by August. I must say that, so far, my plan seems to be working out well. I hope to start wiring the car this week!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #787 on: February 09, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »
I definitely like the progress you are making.

The water pump mount looks very solid.  I might be a customer for just such a pump bracket

Steve
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #788 on: February 09, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »
Steve, The mount you can see I fabbed onto the motor mount stand. Take a look at the back side of the pump on Davies-Craigs website. The piece I had machined mounts to the outer flange of the pump with some small socket head bolts.  It's about an inch thick, and it allows a guy the real estate to drill and tap it so you can mount the pump anyway you would like. I used four 1/4-20 socket heads and bolted it right to the steel flange hanging off of my motor mount. My biggest problem was finding a home for the darn thing. The dry sump setup takes up a lot of space and it took some doing to put the pump low enough that it wouldn't get air locked, and still have plenty of space for oil lines, filters, and the like.

If you look really close in the last picture, you can see the aluminum 'mount' I had made for the pump.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #789 on: February 09, 2015, 08:25:44 PM »
Joe the car is looking great.

Not long now.

You're making good progress. :wink: :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #790 on: February 25, 2015, 11:03:14 AM »
Thanks Mikey!

Things are going well. I've been wiring a lot of the car in the last week or so. I've managed to get everything routed and connected inside. I need to get the battery installed, and hook up the constant duty solenoid that will power everything else. There sure is a lot of wires for such a simple car. I have everything ran through a pretty trick bulkhead connector to the engine compartment. It has plenty of room too add or delete circuits as needed.

The other big update is we are currently in the process of building our own data logging system for the car. My kid brother, the one that built my cool guy door handles, is almost too smart for his own good. We began talking about it over a beer a few weeks ago and what started out as an O2 sensor quickly evolved into a full fledged system with TPS, vehicle speed, drive shaft speed, coolant temp, and a few other pertinent parameters. All the data will be stored on an SD card which can be removed and plugged into a laptop. He is currently writing the program to decipher it all now. As long as it works, and we can do something useful with the data, I think it will be a great addition to the car.

My plan all winter has been to have 90 percent of the car done by the time the weather turns warmer. I hope to have everything done with the exception of body, paint, and tuning the engine by mid May. Wish me luck, and stay tuned!

Offline JHOLVECK66

• New folks
« Reply #791 on: February 25, 2015, 07:29:43 PM »
Car looks awesome man! I'm getting excited to come home and listen to some JOB, pound whiskey, and watch you throw a nasty salt rooster tail behind this beauty! See you in 6 months brotha! Keep up the good work! Remember.... I love you and I'm counting on you hahahahah  :mrgreen: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #792 on: February 25, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »
Great news Joe. :cheers:

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #793 on: February 26, 2015, 11:15:42 PM »
Joe, you do very nice work!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #794 on: February 27, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »
I appreciate that Rob!

I know how you lot are with pictures, so here's a couple. The interior wiring is almost finished, under hood stuff is going to have to wait until I get the engine installed. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how things are progressing. I hope to have the rest of the interior finished in the next couple of days.

The second pic isn't anything special, just wanted to show the bulkhead connector I was talking about.