Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341977 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #765 on: January 20, 2015, 09:51:33 AM »
Hey guys! Still hard at it. Only 200 days until go time. I haven't posted in a while, so I'll try to get you all up to speed.

First set of pics is the belly pan. This thing turned out to be way more work than I ever thought it would be.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #766 on: January 20, 2015, 10:04:38 AM »
Now I had to put some type of "drain holes" below the engine as per the rules. In my mind a regular old round hole would be exactly that, and we can't have old Hank being plain jane.

I did a little bit of thinking and decided that a bunch of louvers would look cooler. Now being the metal worker that I am... (Hopefully you see the sarcasm there). I took it up myself to figure out how to hammer out some louvers. I made a little jig to put on my work bench, cut the slots in the sheet metal, and commenced to hammering. Quite a few hours later, and Viola!
They aren't absolutely perfect by any stretch, but I think they look pretty damn good for my first foray into the world of metal shaping.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #767 on: January 20, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »
Now I just had to figure out how to bolt the darn thing to the car.

The large brackets at the rear of the belly pan that you can see in the first set of pictures bolt to the frame underneath the cowl of the car. The front of the belly pan bolts to the rear of nose piece. If that makes sense... Basically the back of the big part in front where my fuel cell now lives. Now, the front of the car has to be removable to load and unload the car. Unless somebody has 75 foot long trailer ramps I could borrow. I realized that if I take that part off, the rear half of the belly pan will be flapping in the breeze and getting hung up on everything in the world. Time for plan B, build some brackets off of the frame rails to support the belly pan when the nose piece and fuel cell have been removed.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, and I think that they are stout enough that I should have any problems if the car bottoms out going on or off of the trailer.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #768 on: January 20, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »
After a few beers, I mean a bit of engineering analysis. I decided that there should probably be some gussets where the nose piece attaches to the front of the car. And going with the "speed holes" theme, I built and install these.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #769 on: January 20, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
I also devised a way to mount the filters for my dry sump system...

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #770 on: January 20, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »
After a another shorter round of analysis, I decided that it would probably be a good idea to powder coat all of these front end parts. I'm hoping it will at least give them a fighting chance against the salt. Besides, I needed that belly pan out of the way because I'm plumbing brakes. I tore the whole front end down last night. Parts are going to the powder coater this after noon, and in the mean time I'll finish up the brakes.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #771 on: January 20, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
The interior of the car is going together as well, I just didn't think to take any pictures for you all.

I've got all my gauges, chute release, fire bottle controls, seat and other assorted interior goodies buttoned up. Things are moving along very nicely. Only 200 days,and things are looking good!

I hope to have my cylinder head back in a few weeks. Once we have that the engine will start to go together.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #772 on: January 20, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
Joe, I'm blown away.

You're a legend. :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #773 on: January 20, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »
Joe,Ol' Hank is looking great. Your progress is amazing. The only negative comment I have is those "speed holes" in the sqare tubing gussets look to me like "salt catchers". Cleaning the area out in a timely manner may prove to be problematic.

Overall you're blowing me away.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #774 on: January 20, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »
Thanks guys!

PJ, I thought the same thing about those gussets, that's why the back side is open. :-D What appears to be square tubing is actually three pieces of flat bar welded together and shined up to look like one piece.

Offline bbarn

Re:
« Reply #775 on: January 20, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »
I hadn't been following your thread until today Joe.  Looking good man!

You think it is getting out this race season?
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #776 on: January 20, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
Go Hank, GO.   :cheers:

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #777 on: January 20, 2015, 05:03:32 PM »
I'm sure hoping so Brandon. Three years is a long time to wait, but I don't have to tell you and Rob that! It's looking promising. So much so, that if things keep progressing they way they are I'll be ponying up the dough for a pre-registration in a few months!

Thanks Steve! Speaking of going, Steve, will we get to see the Salty Frog with a little more grunt under the hood this year?

Offline SteveM

« Reply #778 on: January 21, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »
I have been working with 2 other guys, and we recently formed an LLC partnership.  I haven't announced the full plans yet.  Our group has a face to face meeting tonight (about money).  Once some money changes hands, I'll be in a better position to share the rest of our plans.

In any event, I will not be on the salt in 2015, but hope to return in 2016. 

More details to follow.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #779 on: January 22, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »
 :cheers:  :cheers: Great to hear Steve! All the best, and I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve!  :cheers:  :cheers: