Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 340500 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #630 on: April 29, 2014, 09:28:08 PM »
Neil, I fully understand that. I've been building, setting up, modifying and repairing chassis for 55 years. What I'm saying is that some cars are helped by a little chassis flex even though it's not my choice. I totally agree with your theories but there are some that don't agree with us and some of them hold enough records that I'm prepared to agree that some other approaches may work.

Pete
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:30:27 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #631 on: April 29, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
No problem, Pete.

Morgan used a wooden chassis for years and it was notoriously flimsy... but it worked for them. I think they got away with that because it didn't have much power and didn't go very fast. Termites were probably their biggest problem.  :-D

If someone is happy with their particular setup-- that's fine. Whatever choice anyone makes is OK. That's what makes this type of racing interesting.  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #632 on: May 07, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
The car is really looking good. Are your plans to run it this year? With 93 days to go we are hard at it on the Studebaker. It is the 2 of us but we have been sending some parts out to be worked on. We are on to run this year barring any unforeseen issue. Plans are to pit close to the 4 mile mark on the course side. Come on down and pit by us or stop by to look ol Scaaty over. See ya on the salt      It's all fun    Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #633 on: May 08, 2014, 09:37:38 AM »
Thanks Don!  :cheers: I plan on being there, with or without the car.

This build is a one man show, so we'll see how things go. Still have quite a bit to do, but I'm working every day. Family obligations and work are going to pretty much eat up the entire month of May. But, like a real good fella I know once told me, the race isn't in building the car.

I have however began to round up the material I'm going to need to build the front end! Pics to come as time allows.

And Don, I've said it once and I'll say it again, ole Scaaty is one cool ride!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #634 on: May 17, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »
Well boys, I had a free weekend. Got the rear fenders on the car. A little shimming and a lot of wiggling, and it looks pretty darn good!

Picked up some material to start on the front clip. Gonna hit it hard tomorrow, and hopefully I'll have a pretty good idea of how it's going to look tomorrow night!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #635 on: May 17, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »
Just a quick shot with the fenders in place. Hopefully the next time they are off, I'll be cleaning salt off the car.

Offline Tman

« Reply #636 on: May 17, 2014, 06:25:29 PM »
Hank looks good Joe! :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #637 on: May 17, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »
Just a quick shot with the fenders in place. Hopefully the next time they are off, I'll be cleaning salt off the car.

Just in case you forgot  how far you've come. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #638 on: May 18, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »
Thanks Trent!

Wow! Never thought of doing that! Thanks Mikey! I guess I've made a little progress in the last year or so.

For the record, that picture was taken the night we brought ole Hank down to the shop. Seems like a hundred years ago. I want to throw out an extra special thanks to the owner of B&T Auto for letting me build my car here and allowing it to take up valuable space in a busy repair shop. Thanks Jimmy!

Back in the shop today. Hoping to have the general shape of the front end done today! Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:03:23 PM by lsrjunkie »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #639 on: May 18, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »
Way to go Joe. :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #640 on: May 18, 2014, 04:37:58 PM »
Long day of bending and shaping, but I'm pretty happy with the way things are going!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #641 on: May 18, 2014, 11:51:29 PM »
That's special.
Joe,  you are a hardcore racer IMO. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Now I can see it.

That unicorn just turned up.

Too cool.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #642 on: June 13, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »
Well gentleman, long hours at the shop have steadily been conspiring against me. I sent Hank to her new home today.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #643 on: June 13, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
And before anyone looses faith, or starts to wonder what I did...

I DID NOT SELL THE CAR!

As I said earlier long hours at the shop have made it very hard to get much done on the car. So, as they say, drastic problems take drastic measures to resolve. I will be moving into a new place in the coming weeks with a very nice 20X50 shop located about 30 feet from the front door. My ever faithful sponsor Jimmy, aka the fella that owns the shop I work at, volunteered to take the car up there this afternoon.

Here's to hoping a less cramped and more relaxed work environment will lead to more progress on the car!

Thanks for all of your support throughout this project, and as I've said before...

Stay tuned!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #644 on: June 14, 2014, 01:31:45 AM »
Whatever makes your life easier right now must be a win. :cheers:

Wise decision Joe.

Hank looks good sitting there.

Good luck at the new shop and many more hours of excitement.