Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 340508 times)

Offline Finallygotit

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #570 on: April 16, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »
Good job, keep at it.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #571 on: April 17, 2014, 09:46:47 AM »
So, I'm sanding away last night and I keep noticing this great big cardboard box. The more I sand, the more the wheels get to turning and any way...
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #572 on: April 17, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »
I'd really like some spill plates on each side, just not sure if I like the way it looks. They may be very nice to have no matter what they look like!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #573 on: April 17, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Nice idea -- and better still, I see a rulebook right there with you as you work.  Might as well keep referring to it, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #574 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »
That's the only way to build Slim!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #575 on: April 17, 2014, 10:02:24 AM »
Spill plates work Joe.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #576 on: April 17, 2014, 10:22:05 AM »
Joe, you were in the pits, and saw our spill plates last year, right?

I'm not far from you, if you want to look at it again, or take a pattern. I'll be coming through Grand junction on May 19th, on my way back from El Mirage.......
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #577 on: April 17, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »
I'm sure they do PJ! I've done quite a bit to ensure ole Hank will be stable at speed. Lengthening the wheel base by 20 or so inches for example. Hank isn't going to be a 300mph missile by any means, but I darn sure want to do everything I can to "keep the shiny side up".

Buddy, I sure did. I looked your car over pretty thoroughly trying to get ideas. I'd love to revisit your spoiler design. Also, if you could make it by the shop to give Hank a once over, I'd be very greatful for a fellow racers opinion.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #578 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
That being said, I went back through your thread last night until I found your spoiler pics. If I remember correctly, yours could not come any further forward because it was already at the center line of the rear axle, right? That's why you had to build the small vertical between it and the rear fender.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #579 on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
For starters the roof around the rear window is already a good shape aero wise. It's staring you in the face. :-D :cheers: :cheers:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #580 on: April 17, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »
That being said, I went back through your thread last night until I found your spoiler pics. If I remember correctly, yours could not come any further forward because it was already at the center line of the rear axle, right? That's why you had to build the small vertical between it and the rear fender.

That's correct-It cannot be further forward than the centerline of the axle.

We has to fill in the space between it and the fender, because the rules require you to " fill in the horizontal gap between the leading edge of the spoiler and the body with a plate"
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #581 on: April 17, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »

That looks real good to me just make sure that there isn't a gap on the bottom side where the rulebook is sitting as Buddy mentioned.

Make the spill plates as large and long as the rules permit starting at the axle centerline and going back as far as the rules permit.  Forget looks, they are your friend (and I think they look cool anyway).  I'd leave the spoiler flat as you have shown and not try and gain downforce unless that becomes an issue.  You want the spoiler as it allows you to have the spill plates and they are what you need.  It is going to be a nice car,

Sum

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #582 on: April 18, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
 :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: Thanks for all the input guys!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Sum, I guess I should have moved my rule book when I was taking pictures. Then only gap is at the leading edge of the spoiler on each side of the car, and it's only there because my piece of cardboard wasn't big enough. I am going to add just enough to fill that gap. As per the rules, this style of spoiler design is allowed to fill the horizontal gap between the leading edge of the spoiler and the body with a plate extending no further forward than the rear axle centerline. And it definitely will!

Spill plates are coming this evening. My only problem right now is that Mr. Kaiser has built quite a curvy car. Using my calibrated eyeball, I figured my spill plates could run right down the top of each rear fender. Well, not so much. Turns out ole Hank tapers at the back. I've got a couple ideas of how to make it work. I'll keep you all posted!

Buddy, Thanks for all the sage advice yesterday! It was good to talk to you man. After our conversation, I sat down and did a little thinking. I concluded that we are pretty much on the same page. I'm just gonna give 'er hell and see what happens!

Offline Tman

« Reply #583 on: April 18, 2014, 01:36:51 PM »
Awesome!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #584 on: April 21, 2014, 09:32:53 AM »
Well gents, here you have it. Now to get some wooden templates cut, make sure they fit perfect, and that'll be one more thing off the list.

Got primer ordered today! Hopefully by this time next week, ole Hank will be all one color!

And if anybody has any suggestions on my super high zoot spoiler design, I'm all ears.