Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341847 times)

Offline Tman

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #540 on: March 03, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
That's the plan Steve. A series of events have conspired to knock my mojo in the dirt. The body work has me frustrated, and the cost of building an ancient engine hasn't helped. I guess I should have restated my initial comment by asking what a guy does to put some wind back in the sails.

I'm really leaning towards getting the car out there as is, and then spending next year making it what it should be. If I remember right, even Buddy ran the Flat Cad with a SBC to get it teched and get some drivers licensed.

That is a good plan

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #541 on: March 03, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »
What effect, if any would the salt have on an unpainted car?

I should say, a primered car. I would not want to go back and have to sand the whole car down and start over.

I would not take it there in bare metal to run.  I think you will regret it. Prime it with epoxy primer.  Not that expensive from Summit using their brand.  Later go back and sand it and then start the real body work when you have the time and so forth for it.  I'll use the epoxy on everything on my car and not just the body.  I'll home powder coat some small pieces maybe that won't need to be worked on later but the epoxy paint is just as good and easier to make changes if needed (the reason I would never powder coat anything complex).

You are building a race car not a show car.  There are race cars that are show cars and that is fine but if making the car a 'show car' first is going to get you on the salt later then I don't like that approach myself.

Last year with Hooley's Stude the car was painted in bits and pieces by about 4 different people, including my part at midnight the night before we left which was a couple days after we were suppose to of left.  It doesn't look near as good as when John had a chance to paint the whole car, but it did make it to the salt and I don't think the paint job effected the speed by 1 mph  :-).

I had more people look at my pickup when I drove it around in bare metal and you could see where it had been...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/underconstruction/underconstruction3.html

...chopped and section by all of the welds.  Get it done so it will run, don't go there with bare metal, spray some epoxy primer on it and move on,

Sum

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #542 on: March 03, 2014, 09:04:23 PM »
LSRJ, The latest method in body work is to Prime the body first with a good epoxy primer. Then after it cures ruff it lightly and then do your plastic filler work. It helps keep the metal from rusting under the plastic filler. Also they make lite weight filler that is very easy to sand. I can get you brand names and part numbers if you need them.
Richard 2

219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #543 on: March 04, 2014, 01:08:28 AM »
LSRJ, The latest method in body work is to Prime the body first with a good epoxy primer. Then after it cures ruff it lightly and then do your plastic filler work. It helps keep the metal from rusting under the plastic filler. Also they make lite weight filler that is very easy to sand. I can get you brand names and part numbers if you need them.
Richard 2

Yep  :-), the epoxy is better than any of the rattle can or other products and like I mentioned easy to get through Summit if you can't find it cheap locally,

Sum

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #544 on: March 04, 2014, 07:45:38 AM »
Richard 2

That method isn't necessary in Colorado.  That's how I always did things back in Wisconsin.  But here is Colorado, the humidity is so low that you don't have to worry about the metal rusting up before you can get it coated.  Usually you have about a 6-12 months window, if stored inside a shop, before you will see any surface rust start to form.  The reason most people prime before body work after media blasting (or what ever method of stripping) is to keep the metal clean and rust free.  The truth is, body filler actually sticks best to rough bare metal than to primer, though there are some products out today that are designed to be applied on top of primer.  The most important part is prep though.  Without a good prep job the end results will, well, suck.  And there are a lot of variable that go into that too.

LSRJ - I'll send you a PM with my phone number, I live in Denver and have been doing body and paint for 10 years, the last 7 of which have been specializing in classic restorations.  Depending on where exactly you live, maybe I can give you a hand with the body and paint.  Or at least give you some very good direction and instruction on what you need to do to do it yourself right the first time without getting overwhelmed.  :-)

Scottie J

Offline tauruck

« Reply #545 on: March 27, 2014, 05:58:05 PM »
Hey Joe, It's JIMMY!!!!! :-D

You haven't been around?.

Just asking because I'm having withdrawal symptoms. :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #546 on: March 31, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »
Joe, here's a little inspiration.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #547 on: March 31, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
I was just reading Sum's reply.
Spot on and the best advice you'll get anywhere. :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #548 on: April 01, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »
Johnny!  :-P It's good to be back. Thanks for the pictures. The shots of your long car, and a little time away have done a good job of kicking me square in the shorts. I appreciate that Mike. Oops, I meant Jimmy. This has been the longest I have ever worked on a project. All the other times, it was either finished by now, or at least my part of it was finished. I'm starting to see why it takes some guys so long to get a ride built for the salt.

I'll be cleaning things up around here and getting back on the car soon!

Keep rooting for me guys! I haven't given up just quite yet!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #549 on: April 01, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
I know you'll do it. :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #550 on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
Keep at her oooops him Joe! If you want to take a break why not join us on chat tonight?  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #551 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
I was planning on it PJ. It's been awhile.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #552 on: April 01, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
Well, better late than never! New found motivation has got be back on the thrash. here's a couple of pics how Hank sits as of this evening.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #553 on: April 01, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »
And just because, a picture of our intrepid builder!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #554 on: April 01, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »
And you're in Grand Junction? I just want to know where to send the hit man with this picture.  :-) Wayno