Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341618 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #525 on: February 14, 2014, 09:51:03 AM »
Stan, That's exactly what happened. While I was sitting at home battling the plague, this fine group of gentleman voted on my position.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #526 on: February 14, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Maybe it's a goat meeting Wayno.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #527 on: February 14, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »
 :-D I ended up in an Army boxing tournament. I wasn't at the barracks when the sports directors came around looking for fighters.
Some clever Dicks just sold me down the river.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #528 on: February 25, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »
Things are moving along here. I must say though, I am not a fan of body work. We have started surgery on the cylinder head, and thanks to Uncle Sam graciously returning some of my hard earned tax dollars more parts are on their way. This year is looking bleak, but I will be at Speed Week once again, car or not. I've got a long way to go, but I will continue plugging away at it.

Just a quick thanks, yet again to all of you watching at home. I certainly appreciate all the advice and well wishes!  :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #529 on: March 03, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
Speaking of advice, I am in search of more. I have hit a bit of a roadblock with the paint and body work on ole Hank. And by roadblock, I mean, it's really starting to wear on me. I've had a couple guys come by and give me some bids on what it would take to get Hank hammered into shape and all shined up. All of the bids I have received are really reasonable, but I also know how a paint and body guys schedule can be. To cut to the chase, what do you lot think of farming that part of this project out? I really want to do all the work myself, but I also don't want it to burn me out to the point that the car never gets finished. Lord knows there's way more unfinished cars out there than there this completed ones.

Let the suggestions fly! And thanks in advance!

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #530 on: March 03, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »
LSRJ, We do our own body work, sheet metal to paint. I started my, working, life out in a body shop and my crew chief is a body man and painter. I get bored with the body filer part quick, I probably would not get it done if it wasn't for him.
You could Probably find an out of work body man to do the work or just be money ahead to hire a body shop you trust.
 But what ever you do, when you hire it done don't tell them your not in a hurry, and visit them often. A friend of mine, in Denver Co, went down that road twice before he got his BGR done.
Richard 2 
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #531 on: March 03, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »
That was my thought as well Richard. I've also heard horror stories of projects that the customer was, "in no hurry" taking years to be completed.

One of my very good friends is a rather good body man, his problem is he's also an avid skier, so this time of the year is a big no go for him.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #532 on: March 03, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
Your friend must not be racer :-(. Race cars come before other activities :-D. Maybe as Richard 2 posted, you can find someone out of work or just needing extra money to come to your place to work or even just help out. The only problem with that is there are some body men that are working in a body shop that aren't very good. Sure wouldn't hurt to ask around or even if your friend knows of anyone. That way at least you can control, to some extent, the progress or lack of.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #533 on: March 03, 2014, 12:04:05 PM »
Joe, find a body shop to sponsor Hank.

You'll give them space on the car in return for the work.

They'll want to put their best foot forward and hopefully do a nice job.

Win, win all round. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #534 on: March 03, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »
Joe, it's really pretty simple. Threaten to start the body work yourself with the understanding that he can finish it.  :roll: Nobody likes to repair someone elses botched attempts. That oughta get him moving.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Tman

« Reply #535 on: March 03, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »
If you are anywhere near close just put it in primer and move on. You can debug it then paint it in the offseason.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #536 on: March 03, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
Good point Wayno! Maybe I'll give that a shot!  :evil:

Mikey, Sponsorship seems to be a four letter word in this part of the world. Most people that have seen the car don't even know what land speed racing is. Then the conversation quickly moves to why the heck I'm not building some giant cubic inch motor if I want to go fast.

I know I've seen it it a signature here on the forum, but the rough quote is, "The number of people that understand what I am doing is vastly larger than the number that understand why."

Trent, That idea has been talked about as well. Put a SBC in the thing while we're working on the Jimmy, run it, get licensed and go from there.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #537 on: March 03, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
What effect, if any would the salt have on an unpainted car?

I should say, a primered car. I would not want to go back and have to sand the whole car down and start over.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:29:36 PM by lsrjunkie »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #538 on: March 03, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »
Sounds like it's about time to re-energize you mojo. :mrgreen:

Sometimes you need to get away from the frustrating part (bodywork) and get after some of the other work that needs to be done.

That car will look awesome at speed, even without worrying about the little dings and visible imperfections.

Are you shooting for SpeedWeek this year?  There's still plenty of time, if you can afford all the parts that you'll need.

Go Hank!

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #539 on: March 03, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »
That's the plan Steve. A series of events have conspired to knock my mojo in the dirt. The body work has me frustrated, and the cost of building an ancient engine hasn't helped. I guess I should have restated my initial comment by asking what a guy does to put some wind back in the sails.

I'm really leaning towards getting the car out there as is, and then spending next year making it what it should be. If I remember right, even Buddy ran the Flat Cad with a SBC to get it teched and get some drivers licensed.