Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 342003 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
I thought mine were supposed to have about 3 1/2" of back spacing but they sure don't look like it. Probably should have measured them before I mounted the tires.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline DND

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »

On this forum they talk about the salt being rough at times, would it be better to have some springs up there plus not beat your car up either.

Like Rex says to scale your car it would make it more adjustable all the way around, and for ride hight too.

Don

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »
I think my ride height will be ok. Adjusting it would be great, but that is a compromise I am willing to make right now. As far as the salt being rough, yet another compromise. I know of quite a few cars running solid mounted front and or rear ends. This will be my first year out, I hope to learn a lot. And hopefully the choices I have made won't be to detrimental. If they are, there's always next time! Live and learn my friends! And if my life to this point is any indicator, I have no problem learning my lessons the hard way!  :evil:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 07:30:59 PM »
I'd really like some more feedback on my front axle setup. Anxious to move on to steering and such. I put a request in to the boys at tech but haven't heard anything yet. Any "educated" guesses out there?

Got a bunch to do and not a lot of time to do it. Kinda like my childhood freind "The Bandit"!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »
OK, can't tell from the pictures... side load applied to axle during a spin, will it just bend those plates over or do you have some gussets planned.  What is the wall thickness of the tube you are bolting to?  Are you bolting through the tube or just through the front wall?  

Let's start there
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:26:35 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »
OK, first. Yes, I think there will be some side load in a spin, but if the brackets collapse it is less than a half of an inch until the axle makes contact with the frame. Next, axle brackets are 1/4" thick bolted with four grade 8 fine thread 1/2" bolts per side. Those bolts are threaded into a 3/4" plate that has been beveled to a 45 degree on all four edges and welded to the front cross member of the frame.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
You asked... remember  :? not being critical just trying to help.  So maybe a spin ends you week?  or you add a couple of triangle gussets to the bracket and axle, and you have that covered.
Other than that I would say your front axle passes tech no problem  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 09:02:23 PM »
Sorry Stainless! Not trying to be blunt just providing as much info as possible.  :-D

Offline DND

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:26 PM »
Hi

With no springs your front axle is going to get a pounding, what are you going to do for keeping those axle holding bolts tight?

Should have welded full length tubes in your front cross member and use a through bolt and metal lock nut.

Don

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 04:22:07 PM »
I have the same concerns Don. I am thinking about adding some gussets like Stainless mentioned or a similar type of bracket on the outside of each frame rail to help keep things tight. Trying to keep anyone in tech from thinking the front axle resembles an "un-sprung A arm" suspension. I would sure hate to spin and tear something up! Or worse yet not be able to run!

On the upside though, I did get new spindles and my drop axle today so the thing doesn't sit like a four wheel drive!  :-D And my scrub radius will be way closer.

Is it wierd that I am so nervous about spinning this darn thing?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 04:39:12 PM »
LSR, many spins are due to over correction, on the salt the course is 100 foot wide and if the car is drifting due to wind, loss of traction etc. it is best to ease into the steering to correct. Even if it means to getting off course where there is basically nothing to hit except a cone or a mile marker. A snap spin can and does happen at times. With a new car you will probably be directed to run on the rookie course to license up and to feel out the car.The salt is like nothing else you have ever ran on and there is a learning curve. A lot of fast cars run front and rear solid mounted axles and have no problems.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »
Thanks for the info Glen! I've definitely gone over the speed limit at times, or say the officer said, but never held anything wide open for more than a half mile or so. The closer the car gets the more I start to think about things like that!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 06:05:35 PM »
Short WB cars without suspensions are tough way to go but have been done many times before. Front brakes are nice but I've never had them on any LSR car. After one spin I found that having the front end adjustable helped to never have another one.

Glen is definately right on over corrections. When I ran out of HP at 215 mph I'm glad my butt and head took over instead of my hands, slowest corrections I ever made. The next mile was a lot of fun but I'd rather never do it again.

Looks like your going to have a lot of fun (the inspectors would like to see at least another 100' of tubing in your cage).

Stay with the GMC and try not to blow many of them up............JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 06:41:25 PM »
Thanks JD! After all the grief I went through trying to track this one down I sure hope I don't blow it up! As for the tubing situation I don't know if there's enough car to get another 100 feet in there, but I'm danm sure gonna try!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
CALLING ALL RACERS!! Sorry to sound so dramatic... I am toying with the idea of running Hilborn on this car and desperately need some info on where and who I can get stuff from. Called Hilborn and they referred me to a place called Sissell's but the number I got isn't in service. Any ideas? I'm a long way from needing anything in hand, but sure would like to find an outlet for it when I get to that point.