Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341546 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #375 on: October 15, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
I appreciate the heads up Stan! I have been holding off on ignition system components due to the renewed "computer controlled" debate that has reared it's head.

Any place I can find these proposed changes and avoid any potential issues? Chopping a fast back car is a lot of work and I'd hate to have to change anything halfway through.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #376 on: October 15, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »
I am pleased to report that the build goes on! Special thanks to maguromic!  :cheers:

Got the left rear quarter window in place this evening. Need to make a small patch panel to fill the gap left in front of the B pillar above the door, but it's late and I'm tired. This working on cars all day so I can work on a car at night is crazy, but a guy's gotta feed his addiction some how!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #377 on: October 16, 2013, 12:40:19 AM »
Looks good Joe. How much lower is it than stock?

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #378 on: October 16, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
Thanks PJ! It's about 5 1/2" lower than stock.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #379 on: October 16, 2013, 11:13:51 AM »
Addiction is when you started looking at pictures of LS cars. :-D This is affliction, it's also terminal and there's no escape.  You, my friend have coped very well. I hear you on doing two jobs. The trick is not being too exhausted when working on your own project. It's looking good though. Do you have music in the shop to keep you going?.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #380 on: October 16, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
Mike, I'd loose my mind with out music in the shop. Heavy metal for heavy fab work, mellow stuff for doing things like the chop.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #381 on: October 16, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
Any Seasick Steve???

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #382 on: October 16, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »
The only man I've ever heard play a guitar with three strings and make it sound good!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #383 on: October 17, 2013, 12:39:15 AM »
You DO know Steve.  :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »
Been working on the roof all week. Got the quarter window in on the passenger side. Came down today and started getting the door all whittled up to fit.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Shot of the passenger quarter window.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #386 on: October 20, 2013, 03:26:20 AM »
Anyone who'se ever chopped a roof will tell you how difficult it is. You've aced it brother. The trained eye never lies. I like where you made the cuts. Hank looks great. If this is your first attempt, you're a natural.
I watched three guys chop a Chevy Nova station wagon. Step one, six pack (each)
                                                                              Step two, remove shirts
                                                                              Step three, marking pen
                                                                              Step four, cigarette box for marking
                                                                              Step five, large angle grinder, no guard and no eye protection
                                                                              Step six, I left. I'd seen enough.
  True story but it is funny. :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #387 on: October 20, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
Yes, cutting close to the drip rails to minimize warping is a great idea. Chop is looking great Joe. Only thing I hate about HJ chops is how much flatter the top of the window frames look. But, there is nothing you can do about that, just part of that body style.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #388 on: October 21, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
I'm really happy with the way it has turned out. A lot of thought and planning went into making this chop not look goofy. I've chopped a few cars before, but this is my first fast back.

Trent, I see what yer saying about the window frames, and frankly I dig it! Definitely looks chopped, but any one in the know will still be able to tell that it's a Henry J.

Mike, I hate to say it, but I have been involved in a chop the likes of which you described. Luckily we all made it out with all of our fingers and eyes! Oh to be young and dumb again... well, on second thought maybe not.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #389 on: October 21, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
A chop is a difficult one. There's no going back if you mess up. You never hear of those first time attempts that went wrong and cars got thrown away. I hate talking about chops because I had a 57 Studebaker pickup that got the chop. We used two cabs and four doors to do it right. I took 8 inches out of it. It is the best looking pickup of it's vintage when chopped. It reminded me of the "Runaway Train". I had it down in the weeds, painted and ready for a motor and interior. I hit a bad patch space wise and couldn't see it standing out in the rain and stuff so when a friend made an offer I figured I'd get it back from him somewhere down the line. He stripped it for some reason and the last time I saw it, it was rusting in his yard down at the coast. He'll never part with it but won't finish it either.