Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341853 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #330 on: September 25, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
Joe, Great minds think alike :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #331 on: September 25, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »
I agree Peter, I dont think Id want a tube running horzintaly in the middle of my back. If one were to go with a horizontal c bar as Kiwi was suggesting, would it be better to weld a wide, flat plate on the section of the bar thats making contact with the back of the seat to disperse the energy of an impact or would it still be similar to getting whacked with a ball bat?

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #332 on: September 25, 2013, 02:28:23 PM »
I'm sure that would help Frankie. That's what I'm going to do. Hopefully I never find out what it's like to get get drilled with a ball bat!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #333 on: September 30, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
Did a little more manifold work this evening. Collector is all done! Next I'll move on to the intake manifold!

The first picture is the 3" pipe I started with.

Second and third shows things starting to shape up!

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #334 on: September 30, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
And through the magic of the internet... The finished product. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #335 on: September 30, 2013, 11:54:53 PM »
Joe, remember you said you were trying not to throw tools and stuff?. Funny how things work from day to day. That looks like it went together easily. :-D
 It looks great and you're on a roll now for sure. Nice work.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #336 on: October 01, 2013, 12:14:55 AM »
Frankie...You maybe have the ball bat in the wrong place. What we are concerned about is seat deflection causing loosening of belts, and the driver coming out of the seat in a major incident. This has happened, actually. The seats most people buy are the cheaper Saturday Nite style seats...They are not the strongest in the back area. If you can make yourself as rigid as you can in the seat/restraint/cage area, so there is no chance anything can happen, that is probably better. Of course, as Sprint Car guys know, a violent flip that keeps you in the car can result in bloodshot eyes, as that organ is sensitive. Still preferable to the other, though. I would prefer to see bars in a vertical plane, as per your `drawing`, but a flat plate reinforcement may still do the job. I don`t remember if the Lajoie, Ulrashield or Butlerbuilt `superseats` have additional runners in that area. Anyone know? I`d like to learn as much as I can about this. Would like you all to be as safe as you can be.... 

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #337 on: October 01, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »
From what I can tell, the Lajoie may have some. The Butlerbuilt, on the other hand, is a very substantial seat! Here's the best picture I could find of the back of the Butler seat that is rated at SFI 87.9 or some crazy thing. And obviously I'm exaggerating on the rating.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #338 on: October 01, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »
Kiwi Paul, thanks for the clarification  :-)

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #339 on: October 01, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
Made pretty good progress on the intake this evening! Got the top half fabbed up. Just need some tubes to connect it to the manifold flange. Should have my steel carb flange tomorrow. Soon as it's all in one piece and hanging on the engine I'll post some pics.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #340 on: October 02, 2013, 12:58:10 AM »
Joe..Thanks for the seat pix. Looks like that Butler seat has a big reinforcement piece that goes around the whole seat. Glad you are making good progress.....

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #341 on: October 04, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »
As promised, gratuitous intake pictures. I really like the way that it turned out. Hopefully it works as good as it looks!

And with that being said... The engine is going to the machine shop this weekend!!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #342 on: October 04, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
Had to take a couple with a carb on it and make some engine noises to satisfy the kid in me!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #343 on: October 04, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »
You're on a roll. It looks really good and I can see all the hard graft that went into it. You've made great progress Joe. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #344 on: October 04, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
Joe,  interesting intake :-o Did you calculate the plenum volume as it relates to runner volume and velocity.  Are there internal devices, bellmouths, deviders ect to help guide the air? Just messing with you. Look good :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15