Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341606 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »
This is going to be really cool build! Lookin forward to following this one.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 10:21:16 PM »
 :-D HALLELUJAH!!  :-D Rounded up a proper tubing notcher and new hole saw today. Got more tubing notched this evening than I did all weekend! Something to be said for having the right tool for the job! Thanks for all the advice guys!  :cheers: Few more tubes to notch then it's time for a cold Bud and some sleep.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 10:22:57 PM »
And for the record Capt's suggestion on ATF as cutting fluid was great. Smokes quite a bit but it sure works well!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 11:22:33 PM »
Couldn't resist one more cage picture! Cold beer in hand, time for some sleep. Gotta be back at 7!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 10:17:47 PM »
Back at it again this evening! Lord willing and the creek don't rise I should have a cylinder head tomorrow!

And I wanted to throw out a special Thank You to Bill Harris for arguing with the freight company that shipped my block and crank (for an unholy amount of $$). Whilst I try to keep a busy auto repair shop purring during the day!

Need my trans adapter and I can get drive train mocked up. Next week?!? Sure hope so!

Hopefully once all the heavy fab work is mocked up I can start sewing things up with the ole Miller permanently and move on to finishing the chop and body work.

Only 197 days to go!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »
Few more pictures of the cage. Got a lot of welding done tonight, but I'm in desperate need of more tubing!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »
So whilst I await my tubing to finish the cage, I figured I could get the front axle hung.

Need some advice though, will the axle mounted the way it is be ok? Seems more than strong enough, but I don't want any issues in Tech. I was thinking about putting some plates on the axle that would allow it to be bolted to the side of the frame as well. Ideas?

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »
Need some advice though, will the axle mounted the way it is be ok?

Pretty sure those C-clamps won't pass tech! :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »
Awe, C'mon Buddy! Do ya suppose they offer some sort of aero advantage?  :-D

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »
Nope, gona need 2 more clamps and they need to be bigger. Your progress looks great. keep the pic's coming.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 10:47:51 PM »
Are you slotting the bolt holes for the axle mounting brackets? You will find out that you will want to scale the car and get the corner weights close and if you can't adjust the height of the wheels on the front you can only use the rears (assuming you are going to have suspension on the rear) which can get the weights close but many times the ride heights can not be what you want.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »
Excellent idea Rex! Thanks for the input.  :cheers: That never crossed my mind. I'm a street car guy and I've never had to worry about those type of things.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 05:05:42 PM »
Well crap, one step forward and two steps back.  :-(  My scrub radius is terrible! I think I've found spindles that will get my scrub radius way closer! Ride height is way to high now, so I ordered a new axle to go with my new spindles. I got my wheels from Marsh Racing. They put as much backspacing as the could into them, so I've gotta make the rest up with the spindle and the hub.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 06:01:37 PM »
Joe, I just ordered some 4" rims, with almost 3.5" backspacing, from Ray at Custom and commercial wheel-909-357-3505. This might help you out.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
Wait'll you try to put your wheel discs on 'em.

(Can be done.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records