Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341966 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »
Your shifter needs either a positive lock out for reverse or reverse disconnected. Hate to see you get there and have issues.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #226 on: July 25, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »
I appreciate the heads up, but why? I can't find anything in the rules. Granted, throwing the thing into R for "race" would probably be pretty ugly, but its a four speed manual trans. I can see if it was an auto trans why I'd need some sort of lock out. And, the dumb question, what if I need to back up while maneuvering around the pits?

The only rule I can find is, 3.H.1 "Any type of transmission may be used in any class. Automatic transmissions shall have a positive reverse lockout to prevent accidental reverse gear engagement"

Is there another one that I'm missing
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #227 on: July 25, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »
LSR
On reading it, you may be right. I have a four speed and was asked in inspection if it was blocked. Maybe someone smarter than me (don't take much) will chime in.

Ron

Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #228 on: July 25, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »
You can't drive a race vehicle in the pits or on the return road.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »
You can't drive a race vehicle in the pits or on the return road.

Hence, no need for reverse!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Thanks Stan! Makes perfect sense to me! I was jsut hoping to run this thing down for an ice cream after the races!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
Back from Speed Week, back to work, and back on Hank!!

Met some great guys, and it's sure nice to put some of the names on the forum to faces!

Spending today in the shop. After much talking and inquiries, I have found out that my cut out rear fenders are not legal. Good news is I have found some rear quarters for Hank that are in great shape! Bad news, I have to get different rear wheels. So if anybody needs some brandie new Marsh Racing 15x5 wheels with 2 1/12" back spacing and a 5 on 4 3/4 bolt circle I've got a pair with moon discs!

Got the panhard bar in, diff centered up and everything measured for new wheels.

Offline Tman

« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »
Great meeting you man!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #233 on: August 17, 2013, 03:19:31 PM »
Pm junkie
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #234 on: August 17, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
You too Tman! I'll be in touch for some stuff soon!

So, got the rear end squared away and made a little trip to BFE to round up my new, "legal", rear quarters. They were in way better shape than I remembered! Only a little blood was shed, and I made it back to the shop and got them hung on the car. Not only is it going to be a lot better in the aero department, the car already looks longer, and a bunch lower!

FYI, inside a 60 year old car on a 95 degree day trying to take out rusted hardware is not a very happy place to be!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
Probably would help to have some visual references!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #236 on: August 18, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »
Back at the shop today. Scrounged up the cardboard I had stashed and got the tough part of the driver side floor mocked up. Gonna send my fancy templates out tomorrow and have some more steel sheared up. Once it's all in I'll be able to figure out pedal placement. So much more to do! At least now I have a lot more time. As I learned this year though, it goes by way too fast!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #237 on: August 18, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »
And the aftermath.

Good news is spending the morning with scissors and a sharpie kept me a lot cleaner than I normally would have been!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #238 on: August 18, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
Back at the shop today. Scrounged up the cardboard I had stashed and got the tough part of the driver side floor mocked up. Gonna send my fancy templates out tomorrow and have some more steel sheared up. Once it's all in I'll be able to figure out pedal placement. So much more to do! At least now I have a lot more time. As I learned this year though, it goes by way too fast!

I found a small plasma cutter at Harbor Freight and use it to cut metal of up to 1/8" (I don't use any thicker stuff than that) instead of having a shop shear the pieces I need to size. The plasma cutter can cut curves, arcs, circles-- whatever shape you need. In addition, it cuts steel, aluminum, and titanium with ease. I use a 4" belt sander or 4 1/2" angle grinder to finish the cut edges. A zirconia or better yet, a 3M Cubitron abrasive does a nice job.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
Thanks for the tip Neil! I've always wanted one, but the cost, and not having a shop of my own have kept it from happening.