Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 340537 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
So... Can I count my bike builder in?  :-D
I used to be called "Mike Miracles" at the gym a long time ago. Miracles do happen and if my project gets delayed this August I might just find my way to some hot and salty race track on the other side of the world. I'd be honoured to crew for ya. :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »
Lifelong friendships have been initiated by picking up crew members.  Every year we get a comment about bringing a vehicle from a long distance without a crew -- never been a problem that I've heard of.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2013, 11:20:10 PM »
Thanks Mike! I don't know a lot about crew members, but I have made a few good friends already, thanks to this forum!

Not too much to report this evening. Just hammering away at the floor and firewall. Driver side is going to be a bit tricky thanks to the fact that the trans and shift linkage now lives next to me as opposed to under the car. Already had to change my clutch operation (or should I say actuation)due to that! Hoping to have a majority of the floor and firewall done in a couple more days. Gusset up the cage a bit more, and if all goes well, begin putting the roof back on the car next week!

For the record, if there's a filthy rich, fabricator, car nut interested in a partnership for a race car let me know... Naahh, scratch that! I couldn't live with somebody else tinkering with my "Hank"!

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2013, 11:43:35 PM »
Sorry, Joe...haven`t been back to add my 2 cents on gussets, but The Captain used his superior Computer Skills to illustrate things......keep going, looking good.... :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
No problem Kiwi! I appreciate you bringing up the topic in the first place! Capt. has given me some very good ideas!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »
Naahh, scratch that! I couldn't live with somebody else tinkering with my "Hank"!  :evil: :-D  Are you sure that statement came out as intended?. Joe, you're a funny guy. A couple of the members got me going on gussets and I've got about 30 left to do. Cutting triangles gets a bit old after a while but you just have to keep going.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
Naahh, scratch that! I couldn't live with somebody else tinkering with my "Hank"!  :evil: :-D  Are you sure that statement came out as intended?. Joe, you're a funny guy. A couple of the members got me going on gussets and I've got about 30 left to do. Cutting triangles gets a bit old after a while but you just have to keep going.

Have a look at A & A Manufacturing-- they make stamped steel gussets as well as lots of other race car fabrication parts.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
Thanks for the info Neil!  :cheers: Well Mike, I guess it depends on who's doing the tinkering!  :evil:

Offline Tman

« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
A&A does not have the size cage gussets that we use for the SCTA. Someone here asked them about making legal saddle gussets and they said no, not able to.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
the Coleman machine catalog has a lot of gussets and brackets.
not sure if they would be legal for your applications.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2013, 07:59:51 PM »
T-Man;

You are right that A & A doesn't have gussets large enough for the required roll cage gussets but they have lots of other size gussets, brackets, etc. Their catalog is free.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
T-Man;

You are right that A & A doesn't have gussets large enough for the required roll cage gussets but they have lots of other size gussets, brackets, etc. Their catalog is free.

Yes, I should have added that everyone should have their catalog regardless!

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
A&A has a wealth of brackets,mounts, yokes,rod end clevises. If your building a car from scratch their catalog is invaluable.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »
Buddy, That thing is awesome!! I'd almost feel bad running it. Notice how I said almost...  :evil: