Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 341965 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »
Well, slow moving this week.  :-( Shop has been busy, and real life has kept me from getting much done. But never fear! Managed to get some sort of tiller linked to the steering gear this evening!

The plan for tomorrow is to yank the roof off and get a lot of welding done on the cage. I'll keep you all posted!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2013, 01:55:23 AM »
I love that steering wheel. I've never seen one like it. Very cool piece. Guys not familiar with what work the builders here on the forum do would be mortified to hear how roofs get cut off and then reattached. What do you think? This is a great build and I'm subscribed. Great work. :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
I love that steering wheel. I've never seen one like it. Very cool piece. Guys not familiar with what work the builders here on the forum do would be mortified to hear how roofs get cut off and then reattached. What do you think? This is a great build and I'm subscribed. Great work. :cheers:

Those wheels are a circle track type item. We have ordered a few of them over the years.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »
Tauruck, I'm pretty sure if there's any Kaiser fans they do not appreciate what I have done to this poor little car! My girlfreind however is thoroughly convinced that I ruined a perfectly good car by cutting the roof off! I think she'll get a better idea when it starts to go back together for the final time.

Good call on the wheel Tman. I don't know if there's an advantage to it or not, but it sure looks cool!

Time to get to it! Hopefully I can get a nice productive day in today! Stay tuned!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Tman

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »
Tauruck, I'm pretty sure if there's any Kaiser fans they do not appreciate what I have done to this poor little car! My girlfreind however is thoroughly convinced that I ruined a perfectly good car by cutting the roof off! I think she'll get a better idea when it starts to go back together for the final time.

Good call on the wheel Tman. I don't know if there's an advantage to it or not, but it sure looks cool!

Time to get to it! Hopefully I can get a nice productive day in today! Stay tuned!

One of the warehouses  I am a dealer for has gobs of circle track stuff that can be repurposed for LSR. And thanks to trading, bartering and gifts from guys on the board my car has Trophy Truck, NASCAR, AIRCRAFT, Dirt track and road race parts on it!

BTW, my 2nd car was a Henry J :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »

I forgot to ask what color you're thinking of painting it?  Your girlfriend is going to have to hang on tight, the honeys are going to be around you like bees!. Sorry I couldn't resist. :-D

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Tman, That's awesome! My Grandad worked at a Kaiser and Frazier dealership after WWII. When I told him about the car he almost fell over!

Tauruck, I was thinking about a flat silver or ... I don't really know. Got any suggestions? As for the honeys, I could only be so lucky!  :cheers:

I've had a fairly productive day! Got some more cage in and it's completely welded. Man I wish I had my tranny adapter! Oh well. Here's some pics of the cage, sans roof. Gonna help a buddy rebuild the front end on his '69 Firebird this afternoon. Hoping that I get a parts delivery early next week! If my adapter doesn't show, next step will be rear coilovers and brackets. Gonna try to tie that all into the cage as well.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2013, 04:35:55 PM »
Working away, and the finished product.

Offline Tman

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »
LSR, think about safety, silver and white can disappear on the salt. Look at the rule about colers/contrasting colors. IMHO, a Henry J or ANY racecar shout be loud and in your face as far as color! :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »
Hank would look good in red....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2013, 09:45:27 PM »
Can I make a suggestion for a couple of extra bars for your cage? I`d like to see another diagonal door bar that runs from about dash height back down to make a good door X brace. I know you are going to run a full door net, but I like a blanked in panel at the front lower to really stop your legs from trying to get out if there is a problem. I`d also like to see a triangulated bar that starts from the forward roll cage bar on the inside section (the one that ends on the horizontal centre bar) and triangulates over to the bottom junction of the A pillar bar on the passengers side.I would be concerned about that horizontal centre bar deflecting if the car came down really hard on the roof. Not trying to be a nit picker or criticise at all, but I have seen enough stuff in 30 years at the Salt to care about all you guys. Be sure and send a few pics along to Steve Davies, Chief Car Tech of the cage as it is and get his input. Great to see such rapid progress-hope to see you at Inspection this year...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2013, 02:59:26 AM »
Hank would look good in red....
I agree with Stainless. Porsche Guards Red comes to mind with satin black wheels but the "Hank" is going to make a statement no matter what color you go for. I'm the#1 fan on this one. You rock. :wink: You should be so lucky??? Check Donald Trump, he's got a comb over and he ain't doing bad. :lol:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:07:56 AM by tauruck »

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »
Kiwi, I was actually planning a few more bars than that. Problem right now is I don't want get them installed to find out they are in the way of engine or trans. I appreciate the concern though. Thanks!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2013, 10:06:43 AM »
The cage is looking great, and you are really moving along on this project.   :cheers:

SteveM.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
I was hoping to get some rear suspension mocked up tonight and have my "car" actually sitting on all four wheels, as opposed to just the front two. But, alas, once again I am waiting for parts. Hopefully everything will work out tomorrow and I'll have some rear suspension pics for you all!