Author Topic: Belly tank diameter question  (Read 22985 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: Belly tank diameter question
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
We have found it helpful to mock up a frame out of 2X2 wood or perhaps PVC tubing before getting any steel bent or welded.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
We have found it helpful to mock up a frame out of 2X2 wood or perhaps PVC tubing before getting any steel bent or welded.

.....but...........

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/construction%20page-18.html

... be ready for some ribbing  :-D,

Sumner

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »
. . . be ready for some siding?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
Hi Hotrodderhaag
 We built our Lakester using the same drop tank you have.  Check out our build diary attached below while it hasnt been updated in a long time as our lakester has continued to change over the years with ever increasing speeds the frame design and how the suspension was built should be of value in your build.  
 Like Stan posted you dont need any certified chassis. When I began my project I talked to guys with experiance in drop tank Lakesters. One fellow who gave me a lot of guidance is no longer with us Jack Kelley he told me a lot of important stuff but one item was most important. When building your frame make it as wide as possible make it hug the drop tank body. You will find the space inside your tank will fill up fast. If you would like any guidance I would be happy to help send me a PM.    :cheers:
 Ronnieroadster

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4354.0.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:34:51 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 05:19:22 PM »
 A fabric shop will have a dumpster full of cardboard tube from their rolls of fabric. Much more practical , and cheap, if you are going to spend the timer building something life size it might as well be tube that's close to the size of what you will be using.

We built a frame out of cheap 1 inch steel tube that we could sit in, it was more useful.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 05:36:14 PM »
I used  EMT for the frame mock up patterns ... made it a lot easier bending tubing to match patterns.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 06:05:04 PM »
I used PVC tubing for the mock-up on my Tank. I also used it for the first try at the "fish mouth" cuts before I committed to steel. It's gobs easier to cut and gives you a good starting place when you cut the real stuff.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
. . . and lots of us are reminded again what a great guy Jack Kelley was.  I guess we should feel lucky that we knew him.  Still a sad story. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 08:21:06 PM »
Building a round chassis to conform to the inside of the tank is the hard way to go. None of the crap you're gunna stuff in there is that shape so build to the components then bracket out to the tank, & that includes the driver. Get the driver down in the thing so you don't end up with an "oil rig" parked on top with a driver that looks like he's sitting at the kitchen table & you just managed to double the frontal area of what was once a slick piece.
  Sid.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 11:15:35 PM »
Good advice Sid . Nothing wrong with driving with your knees bent and spread like with a slingshot dragster .

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2014, 01:21:06 AM »
Stan--You nailed it. Jack was great people....

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
I have attached a pic of Steve Nelson's tank to show that you can get every thing in a 26 inch dia. Steve did add 12 inches to the length but it is the V4 fuel lakester record holder at 201+. Steve's car is quite roomie as he is 6 ft + and fits with no problem. I have actually been in it at his shop and I carry about an extra 30-40 lbs on Steve and it wasn't a bad fit. His tank is from an Albatross sea plane.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 03:32:06 AM »
Building a round chassis to conform to the inside of the tank is the hard way to go. None of the crap you're gunna stuff in there is that shape so build to the components then bracket out to the tank, & that includes the driver. Get the driver down in the thing so you don't end up with an "oil rig" parked on top with a driver that looks like he's sitting at the kitchen table & you just managed to double the frontal area of what was once a slick piece.
  Sid.

Mixed feelings about the first bit of that, agree with the second part entirely, too many people sit straight up and down like they're planning on being in there for six hours at a time....... getting hoops rolled and building a space frame gives you a lot of rigidity, not much volume and gives you flexibility to change a rail chassis doesn't give you that.

Good advice Sid . Nothing wrong with driving with your knees bent and spread like with a slingshot dragster .

Works for us.....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
Blisters to cover projecting parts are relatively easy to make . This is one I made to cover my hubs :

http://www.motorsportsinnovations.com/Bvile-pics/bs%20041206%20rh%20blister%20ex.jpg

Saw and bolt together2 x 4s the shape of the outside of body with the hole you need . C clamp 1/16" 1100 aluminum and hammer with a round nose plastic hammer . Rivet a backup plate and fasten the blister . I dzused my hub blisters so I can check tire pressure without removing the body . A 26" tank with a couple of blisters has less drag than a 30" tank .

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »
John, How about a few more pics of your liner? Looks like you are making good progress.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.