Author Topic: Belly tank diameter question  (Read 22989 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Belly tank diameter question
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
Dan, if beer is not involved is it really racing?  I think not  :cheers:

Hrh,
The bigger the vehicle you build the slower it will go with the same motor.... that should not be shocking news... just about all the tanks will start with the same aero Cd, the difference will be frontal area.  How much you hang outside and how you do it is the rest of the story.

Disclaimer... The Bockscar is not a tank, it is a lakester
The drivers compartment in the Bockscar is 19 1/4 wide X 14 tall, although the driver must go under a bar that is 12 1/2  above  the floor at the front of the steering wheel.  Yes it is tight,  but if you want a lot of room, race a 60s Lincoln  :-D it is not like you are driving cross country, you will be in there about 15 minutes at a time.  Yes, I am 6'3 and 215, not a small guy.  If you are Pork Pie's size there is almost too much room in it, had a hard time getting his belts right, we did, but it was not easy.  

will a flathead fit?  don't know, the Kieth Black was a little large for ours
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Freud

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
How much overdrive on the blower?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 02:24:57 PM »
One of the few applications that turned the blower by suction.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 02:53:29 PM »
I didn't say tanker.... :?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 05:23:51 PM »
How much overdrive on the blower?

FREUD
One of the few applications that turned the blower by suction.

Sorry guys, while we were checking motor fit we sent the pictures to the special construction chair for his thought.... OH HELL NO... was the first reaction... so we went back to the 1.5 liter.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
Some folks just don't know what fun is. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »
People have asked us if we used photo shop for that image. It was faster just to set the motor from the dragster in it :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 09:20:22 AM »
ordered my tank, wont be ready till end of feb but its def worth the wait.. trying to get a good set of flat pattern drawings of the tank so i can draw and exact chassis.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »
Wait until you get the Tank before you draw anything "final".  :wink: Remember, everything "shrinks" in all directions as you go to the ends of the shape. Chances of getting caught off guard are pretty good. Good luck with your build.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »
Wait until you get the Tank before you draw anything "final".  :wink: Remember, everything "shrinks" in all directions as you go to the ends of the shape. Chances of getting caught off guard are pretty good. Good luck with your build.  :cheers: Wayno

thanks elmo,
ill keep that in mind. appreciate all the help......... would love to hear any other tips and tricks all you experienced guys have run into.... this is all new to me.

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »
well fellas,
its been a long time since i posted... I finally purchased a tank. I bought a hellcat f6f tank. A friend of mine had 2 of them hanging in the upstairs of his garage... He was real hesitant to part with one, but after a couple weeks of bugging him. I bought it home... I did OK when purchasing it. ive seen cheaper and ive seen way more expensive. The best part is, now its in MY garage.. Ive purchased a healthy 8BA and a v8 banjo rear. Model a beam front axle and some 37 ford spindles. This is going to be a vintage style tank with the necessary safety feature. I have spoke to mike @ mike speed shop in NC, and im discussing a certified chassis with him. I need to order a rule book from scta before i go any further. But what i have is a start...
im unsure how to make my images smaller, or id show you all what i purchased! and some progress.  It will be on the back burner for a while as i have a few hot rods in front of it that need done. but that will hardly keep me from turning a wrench on it here and there.

ill start a genuine build thread also.

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 09:26:29 AM »

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 09:26:53 AM »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Don't do a thing without a Rule Book!

SCTA does not require a "certified chassis", whatever that is.  And if you build a chassis that passes SCTA standards, it will undoubtedly be good at any other venue.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:39:19 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »
Listen to Stan. Get the rule book. There is no need for a "certified" chassis unlike NHRA.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...