Author Topic: Block fill  (Read 12730 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: Block fill
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 12:01:04 AM »
 Thats machinist talk for tenths of a thousands of an inch. And thats because that is what my old Sunnen dial bore guage reads in. In other words just enough to true her a skosh :-D

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »
   Buddy, I don't know if it's possible or not, but what if you turned the block upside down and poured it with about 1 inch of aluminum? You would have a dry deck, and you could put in inserts for the head studs that would have a lot more to grab onto. You could even add xtra studs. You would also not lose the heat transfer from the valve seats. Just thinkin'.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »
Thats machinist talk for tenths of a thousands of an inch. And thats because that is what my old Sunnen dial bore guage reads in. In other words just enough to true her a skosh :-D

Yup.  "It's off three tenths." = you missed it by 0.0003"

"Take half a thou off" = remove 0.0005" of material.

You missed it by ten thou.  NOT "one hundredth". = 0.010"

"You missed it by a c^nt hair" = I can make it fit with a hammer.  I used to have a CH taped on a 3x5 card in the top of my toolbox.  "NBS Certified CH - 0.0032"

NFG or FUBAR = Do not use.  Good for scrap.

Strange thing about machinists.  If you are good, you never miss anything by .001".  You miss it by .025 (jig bore), .100, or .200".  Why?  This is how much you screw up if you count the handle turns wrong.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:01:57 AM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »
Strange thing about machinists.  If you are good, you never miss anything by .001".  You miss it by .025 (jig bore), .100, or .200".  Why?  This is how much you screw up if you count the handle turns wrong.

A lot of years ago a machinist missed with a vernier caliper by 1 solid inch on an 8 foot measurement. The part being machined was an oil well casting. We called them liberty bells because that's what they looked like. So the top 18" diameter of material was now an inch short. What do you do, scrap it? Naw. You just take it to the weld shop and weld an inch back on. The welders were pissed at the machinist for a loooong time.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »
Added:

When they say 100 thou, it's not 0.00001"  it's 0.100", never say a "tenth" for 0.100".
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »

Yup.  "It's off three tenths." = you missed it by 0.0003"

"Take half a thou off" = remove 0.0005" of material.

You missed it by ten thou.  NOT "one hundredth". = 0.010"

"You missed it by a c^nt hair" = I can make it fit with a hammer.  I used to have a CH taped on a 3x5 card in the top of my toolbox.  "NBS Certified CH - 0.0032"

NFG or FUBAR = Do not use.  Good for scrap.

Strange thing about machinists.  If you are good, you never miss anything by .001".  You miss it by .025 (jig bore), .100, or .200".  Why?  This is how much you screw up if you count the handle turns wrong.

"NFG" reminds me of a story I heard from a friend who ran an Askania camera tracking station at White Sands Missile Range years ago. He kept getting electronic equipment back from calibration and repair with tags reading "NFG" and he was furious when they sent it back again with another "NFG" tag. Finally he found out that the calibration & repair lab had a technician with the initials "N.F.G."; after that, "NFG" stopped being signed on those equipment tags.  :-P

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^dad went to school with a pal named Marlyn Erickson. Art teacher wanted all work signed with the students initials. Took a few tries before the teach quit asking who the smartass was signing ME on his art! :roll: :-D