Author Topic: California Blue Plate Special  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
California Blue Plate Special
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

Hmmmm . . . I don't know how I feel about this one.  I bought my MGB from a dealer in the Bay area 10 years ago.  Other than the overdrive, the coolest accessory was the original blue plate.  I still have it in my garage.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: California Blue Plate Special
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:09:40 PM »
I also have the original blue Cal plates on my three Mopars. 70 Challenger, 70 R/T Challenger & 70 R/T Coronet. I peeled the tags down to the original 1969 & 1970 ones, they haven't lost any of their cool.
You're still good to go Mate!
  Sid.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »
It's almost a blue plate special. Don't hold your breath to get one any time soon.

California DMV is taking pre-orders for the plates. Pre-orders are being taken until January 1, 2015

If 7,500 pre-orders are received for any one plate style they will manufacture the plates and you will receive them 9-12 months later. If not, they refund your money.

If 7,500 are received prior to that date then manufacturing will start right away for that plate style.

The last three California plate styles are being offered. California first issued license plates in 1914 and changed color and number style almost yearly before settling on ABC123 with black on yellow for the plates in 1956. That combination allows for 17,576,00 plates.

In 1963 the gold on black plates were issued. In 1969 the gold on blue plates were issued. The series was changed to 1ABC123 in 1980. In 1982 the current color of blue on white was issued. The numbers are currently in the "6" series, so these plates should hang in there for another decade or so.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
Hahaha, I can remember a few years when no one I knew had a blue plate!

Old cars had black plates, really old cars had yellow plates.

sign me,

Old and grouchy in the cold.
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:24 PM »
Those plates bring back memories.  Especially the yellow one.  That was a long time ago.